Daggerfall Tools for Unity 1.3.31 Released!

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Tools for Unity 1.3.31 Released!

Post by Interkarma »

The release version of Daggerfall Tools for Unity 1.3 is now available.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-to ... -released/

I was originally going to hold this until all the tutorials were complete, but everything seems stable enough now that it makes sense to release then complete tutorials as planned.

LypyL

Re: Daggerfall Tools for Unity 1.3.31 Released!

Post by LypyL »

The 1.3 updates have been great, you've really added some awesome stuff! I can't wait to see what you have in store for the future :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers mate. :) I also appreciate all the time you put into testing and reporting bugs (that goes for everyone else too), and the ideas this community puts into the tools. Things just wouldn't be the same without you guys.

Once I'm done with the tutorials, I'm going to take a short break to recharge then get stuck into 1.4 with a vengeance. The next version is all about extracting real gameplay data (finally!) like text, quests, items, loot tables, monsters, spells, NPCs, etc. I will very likely expand the demo classes a bit to show off the new features too.

FlinchCat

Post by FlinchCat »

I'm going to try and get my VirtualBox of Windows XP as a partition so I can sink my teeth into Unity, and into this project.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Interkarma wrote: Once I'm done with the tutorials, I'm going to take a short break to recharge then get stuck into 1.4 with a vengeance. The next version is all about extracting real gameplay data (finally!) like text, quests, items, loot tables, monsters, spells, NPCs, etc. I will very likely expand the demo classes a bit to show off the new features too.
Awesome...that will be huge. Not that all that isn't enough already, but I've been thinking about the non-functioning action object stuff in dungeons a bit lately - I was wondering if you think it's going to be possible to get the complete block layouts from the Daggerfall block data eventually, or maybe an alternative way of doing it :?:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

All the raw block data is being read in by API, there are just some blanks that need filling in for the higher-level structs. And knowing Daggerfall, half those blanks will be something not-implemented or cut from the final game. Even unknown action records are being read in and can be viewed by metadata on the model, they just don't do anything yet.

I do plan to make a round trip to the action records, but have been putting it off for now. If you'd like to start tackling the unknown action records, I'd be grateful for the help. You're already part of the way there with your block serializer.

If this is something you do start looking into, and you need any help whatsoever, please don't hesitate to hit me up via PM if there's something I can help with.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've merged some performance enhancements into the master branch. Current master version is 1.3.35. This update further improves texture read times and streaming world performance.

Grab it and let me know how it goes. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I like the performance optimizations though I find the StreamingWorld optimizations to be double-edged.
As far as I can see one main difference to previous versions is that the treadmill blocks of the world do not need to be loaded entirely before one can start to wander around. While this gives the positive effect of being able to start walking around earlier it implies several drawbacks:
-) during the phase in which the remaining blocks are loaded fps are considerable lower than usual (making the exploring a pain)
-) world loading is noticeable (newly loaded blocks pop in)
-) lod seams between blocks occur until the unity terrain neighboring assignment is done (which happens only after all blocks were loaded - this actually breaks the immersion for me)

Would like to hear what other people think about it - I can live with both implementations, but it is no win-win in my opinion ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. I much prefer this implementation however - it gets you in the world faster after loading a game. The frame drop can be tuned further, as can most of those pop-in artifacts. Terrain stitching is a bit harder to deal with, but by no means impossible to improve.

The thing to understand is this is an iterative process. These changes aren't an end point, they're part of a larger cycle of continuous improvement. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yeah, I hope it is clear that I am not criticizing but just giving a view from a different standpoint ;)
there is no arguing about you being so much more experienced and skilled, so I am usually just a bit embarrassed when telling some of my thoughts ;)
The streaming world is rocking with your most recent optimizations ;)

One further finding of mine: I sometimes get this message:
TerrainColliders can no longer act as triggers since Unity 5.0
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)

coming from the line terrainDesc.terrainObject.SetActive(true); in function UpdateTerrainData
Any clue what that one is about?