Sprite Shadows not drawing/casting [RESOLVED]

Midknightprince

Sprite Shadows not drawing/casting [RESOLVED]

Post by Midknightprince »

After arriving from fast travel, or when exiting a location at noon.
It seems to only happen around noon ( entering and then just exiting a location or arriving from fast travel).
Have tried it with vanilla Unity, with and without the new terrain textures, all mods on and off (even created a new character).
I can replicated it, but it seems to be random, (doesn't always happen).
All you have to do is fast travel around too a few locations and arrive at noon, or close too.
Building Shadows are still there, but Shadows cast from Sprites don't show up.
And yes I've tried it with no real grass, same thing, and I know at noon they are just squiggly lines, but no Sprite Shadows are being cast at all.
I can get it working again by fast traveling, sometimes sleeping overnight, (or just till late afternoon in some cases) at the location fixes it, rezoning in and out of a location sometimes .
And once you spawn and no Shadows are there, they don't come back until you fast travel or Zone into some place.
Let me mess with the settings in the launcher.
I have shader set to bi.
Im gonna turn that off and try Legacy deferred and see what happens.
Sorry to bug you guys I'm just testing.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Interkarma

Re: Sprite Shadows not drawing/casting

Post by Interkarma »

Not sure on this one.

You mention arriving around noon. When the sun is almost directly above the player, flats will have little to no shadow as they're like an upright sheet of paper with no true width. Just resting for a few hours will move the sun into an afternoon position where there should be shadows.

If there's something else going on, I can take a look. Is anyone else able to reproduce this in a totally unmodded version of Daggerfall Unity?

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:Not sure on this one.

You mention arriving around noon. When the sun is almost directly above the player, flats will have little to no shadow as they're like an upright sheet of paper with no true width. Just resting for a few hours will move the sun into an afternoon position where there should be shadows.

If there's something else going on, I can take a look. Is anyone else able to reproduce this in a totally unmodded version of Daggerfall Unity?
I tried it with vanilla Daggerfallunity with my guy, and a new one (both 76 and 77).
with mods, without mods, same thing (even took the new terrain textures out).

No sprite shadows cast at all ( I know about the noon thing, they just don't show up), and it seems random.
sometimes zoning into a house turns them back on, fast traveling away and back again too.
Here's a video of it in action.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That video is 1.5 hours long, please let me know the time where I can see the issue to save me some time. Cheers. :)

Alternatively, you can just post a screenshot of the problem if possible. Try to get a nice close shot of the base of sprite where shadow is not present. Please make sure screenshot is not running any other mods.

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:That video is 1.5 hours long, please let me know the time where I can see the issue to save me some time. Cheers. :)

Alternatively, you can just post a screenshot of the problem if possible. Try to get a nice close shot of the base of sprite where shadow is not present. Please make sure screenshot is not running any other mods.

25:00 on the video...and some screens.
I've already taken out the temperate terrain, same thing happens.
It's not on my end.
Even started a new guy, no mods, no terrain after removing everything in lower low taking out all mods, deleting everything in my df unity folder and reinstalling #77.
Since 76 I just figured some places just didn't draw shadows, that's not the case...it's random, not the mods, and nothing I can change on my end, and my npc's in town never have shadows (I think I remember that being in in the first build I tried could be wrong).
Sorry to take your time, just letting you know what I'm finding.
Attachments
daggerfall city
daggerfall city
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.27 - 21.51.42.19.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3910 times
farm early morning
farm early morning
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.27 - 21.49.58.80.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3910 times
random town early dusk
random town early dusk
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.27 - 21.47.21.83.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3910 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Appreciate the followup with extra info. I'll see if I can reproduce on my end and will keep an eye out for it during my test sessions. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Mobile NPCs don't cast shadow at the moment, this looks rather bad due to shadow twisting (something I can control with static trees). One suggestion was to use blob shadows for NPCs, and this is something I'll play with later when I want a break from the hard stuff.

Midknightprince

Ok tested with a fresh instal.
No mods.
Shadows cast untill 12 noon.
Then pop out of existence.
Just make a new guy in build 77 make your way out of the dungeon before noon and watch a tree if you zone out and there's no Shadows it's already after noon.
So it seems like the Shadows disappear after 12 noon.
Hope this helps.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, can confirm shadow bug with foliage after midday. Probably an issue with normals in batch foliage lighting calcs.

Thanks for raising this.

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:Cheers, can confirm shadow bug with foliage after midday. Probably an issue with normals in batch foliage lighting calcs.

Thanks for raising this.

Glad I could help, now I can stop reinstalling and just play the game :D

Midknightprince

I am still monitoring this, just bumping it up so I don't lose track.
I would like to see shadows on everything in post noon hours (foliage, sprites, npc's), but no biggie.
I don't mind if it looks funky because they are sprites, and I'm not rushing you, just keeping an eye on this so I don't have to go to the end of bug reports. :D