[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: Project "Increased Terrain Distance"

Post by Nystul »

yeah, checked the values twice
the similarity with screen resolutions / video resolutions also jumped into my eyes.
it is more a matter of interest than a real need to solve this :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Found some time to test my ideas (exaggerating heights based on distance to water), looks promising (Lypyl's sky is so incredible beautiful):

the last three screenshots were taken with settings with stronger attenuation of heights

I have some more ideas that need to be tested...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to rediscover this terrain again with your updates.

Edit: I had to post these to the Workshop. They were so beautiful I thought everyone should see them. :)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Those look awesome! I love that their are now geographic features in Daggerfall...we'll have to start naming them :lol:

I'm assuming you have it disabled it on purpose for testing, but in case you didn't notice there is a procedural skybox that makes the sky look a lot better.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no, i haven't noticed^^ even more better? amazing!
have to see if i manage to enable it ;)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I should mention it's for Unity 5+ only...Anyways, go to Window->Lighting and right at the top under Enviroment lighting there is a skybox & sun setting. In the enhanced sky->Materials folder you can find the sky material (it's really just the default sky that comes with Unity 5, pre-set to what I thought worked best). And finally just drop the Sun gameobject from the hierarchy into the Sun tab.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yeah looks even more amazing! have to post some more screenshots soon!
What does the sun gameobject in this tab do? what is improved by this setting?

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Beautiful! It really makes me want to run around and explore more than before.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Nystul wrote:yeah looks even more amazing! have to post some more screenshots soon!
What does the sun gameobject in this tab do? what is improved by this setting?
The procedural skybox actually adds a sun to the sky (you can change its size in the material settings to see what I'm talking about), that tracks a directional light as it rotates around - so you're telling it what light to follow. And I think this controls when the sky transitions from day->night etc.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am currently fighting 2 issues, any advice is appreciated.

1.) object placement at locations at higher altitudes is wrong (objects are placed too low or too high (flying around)). I tested this with the tools without additional scripts when using TerrainScale of 6 one can spot these effects in mountain regions with higher altitude:

I first thought of floating-point-precision issues, but we are dealing with a maximum height value of 9234, which should not be too much... or what do you think
Effects get more dramatic when exaggerating heights even more (with objects off position about half the player height)

2.) I would like to set fog color according to Lypyl's advanced sky (it still seems to be taken from vanilla sky background). Furthermore it would be nice to fade distance terrain into the horizon (though this also has some drawbacks like night-stars showing trough terrain) - I tried to use alpha/blend operations in my shader, though it made the terrain look glass-transparent which is not the intended effect. Especially since it rendered terrain tiles behind other (semi-transparent) terrain tiles. I would like to blend the solid front terrain tiles into the skybox background...
any ideas or suggestions? ;)