Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Midknightprince

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote:JHKN008: A noble in the region may suffer an assassination attempt by orcs soon. The PC is asked to guard the palace and ensure its safety
The night task is not clicking off once in the palace.
Everything else seems to be going off fine.
I got the timeup going off.
Is this one region-specific ?
Maybe its the palace its sending me too ( like with the stronghold takover that works in Wrothgraria), and is the names npc sopposed to actually be in the palace, because I cant find him.
Tested in #76 in daggerfall province.
All the others seem to work fine.
I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS QUEST :)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Stalin Brando

Post by Stalin Brando »

Regarding, "Sacrificial Lamb," I started the mission on the island of Betony. I ran out the allotted time by quick travelling to a few local places, as well as making a trip to Pothogo in Hammerfell.

After the 22 days, I think it was, was over, I returned to the Redguard who gives out quests. Just clicking on him didn't end the quest or remove the read outs from my screen, but clicking on new quest made the old one disappear.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a few tries to see if I can make it happen. I design my quests in a way that if the quest objective isn't fulfilled yet, the guild member's supposed to say something to redirect you to your goal. In this case, it's:
You get out of here before a
single day's passed, FIRSTNAME.
And don't let me see you for
another GOALDAYS. Bring me the
ITEM afterwards and I'll pay you.
It's an either/or proposition, so I'm assuming you completed the quest properly but the victory dialogue and the inventory screen afterwards didn't appear. Hopefully this is reproducible and possible to resolve.
Midknightprince wrote:The night task is not clicking off once in the palace.
Everything else seems to be going off fine.
I got the timeup going off.
Is this one region-specific ?
Maybe its the palace its sending me too ( like with the stronghold takover that works in Wrothgraria), and is the names npc sopposed to actually be in the palace, because I cant find him.
Tested in #76 in daggerfall province.
All the others seem to work fine.
I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS QUEST :)
My first temptation is to blame it on version 76, but I really doubt that has to do with it. The time-of-day trigger has been existent since CUSTOM01. I'll download 76 and see if I can reproduce it in that same region.

Maybe it's a matter of grammar, but the night task doesn't need to expire while you're in the palace. That, together with _timeup_, should produce the event. Keep in mind there's a small chance of the _false_ event happening, which means no orcs will attack at all. If you let day come after _timeup_ occurs, the quest should end one way or another.

I tried making the NPC appear in the palace, but it didn't work, so now he/she is really hiding inside. Any dialogue I had planned with him/her was just going to be flavor, so cutting the person out wasn't a big loss in this case.

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote: My first temptation is to blame it on version 76, but I really doubt that has to do with it. The time-of-day trigger has been existent since CUSTOM01. I'll download 76 and see if I can reproduce it in that same region.

Maybe it's a matter of grammar, but the night task doesn't need to expire while you're in the palace. That, together with _timeup_, should produce the event. Keep in mind there's a small chance of the _false_ event happening, which means no orcs will attack at all. If you let day come after _timeup_ occurs, the quest should end one way or another.

I tried making the NPC appear in the palace, but it didn't work, so now he/she is really hiding inside. Any dialogue I had planned with him/her was just going to be flavor, so cutting the person out wasn't a big loss in this case.
Ahh ok, I wasn't giving it a chance to finnish on my end so maybe it is working.
I would see the "timeup" go off and figure something was going south, and it seems if you loiter or rest to make time pass it makes the "no enemies showing up" thing happen more frequently.
I did the "guard the guys house from asssasination attempt" quest, and someone actually showed up by me just standing there till like 2 a.m.
Whereas, before i was resting, thinking I would get the "enemies are near prompt".
I'm back in 78 now tho, so I will test it the right way (it may be boring standing there, but it sounds like a hell of a quest).
Thanks again man, I have all 30 + now.
This is gonna be fun :D

Midknightprince

@Jay_H
Oh man, I have done a ton of quest from that new zip, everything worked just perfect.
That interrogating the litch one finally got me flat out dead. :lol:

I did the merchant one, where she's actually a frost daedra.
The bum brother who tried to swindle me out of my reward.
Saved the dragonling.
the evidence one where you have to haul butt to another town, take it under the guards noses, and then get harassed the whole way back.
Some others that I can't remember.
no problems...
I absolutely love them dude.
I am definitely going to redo the litch one tomorrow first thing.

I am just telling you (straight up), they are fun, exciting, and feel like they belong in the game.
don't stop bud, you are good at these things, really good, and that's only like a few of those 30+.
I cannot wait until tomorrow.
It's going to be a straight up quest day, all day long. :D
Thank you man, I had so much fun tonight (even while i was getting my butt kicked).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's fantastic, thank you :) The lich one is definitely on a different scale. It'll be fun to expand on it and other types of quests as more functions come into play.

Right now I'm at a bit of a lull on quest ideas since I've done the high-impact ones we have in the prompt thread. I'll be working on some of the simpler ones like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood kidnapping quests. Once those are over we'll see if there are any low-hanging fruit I forgot about, and then see what else we can come up with.

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:
Right now I'm at a bit of a lull on quest ideas since I've done the high-impact ones we have in the prompt thread. I'll be working on some of the simpler ones like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood kidnapping quests. Once those are over we'll see if there are any low-hanging fruit I forgot about, and then see what else we can come up with.
Take your time, recharge, come back.
Just don't stop, I like your quests.
They're like classic X10.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHTG002: Thieves Guild quest. The guild wants to kidnap a kid for ransom. After picking the child up, deliver him/her a certain dungeon to receive your payment.

This is a simple quest which adds internal consistency to Daggerfall. Occasionally a merchant will ask for your help in saving a kidnapped child from the Thieves Guild, who will be captive in a dungeon. It just makes sense for the PC to have a part in setting up that scenario every once in a while. As is customary for Thieves Guild jobs, no dungeon crawling and very little combat.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHDB006: Dark Brotherhood quest. Kidnap a child belonging to rich people and take him/her to a residence to wait out the ransom period.

As with the previous quest, this is intended for consistency, as the Dark Brotherhood in Daggerfall is known to abduct people occasionally but the PC never does so. I try to make quests as distinct as possible to provide a variety in gameplay, but I will qualify this "shovelware" in that Daggerfall itself sets this up to happen.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Great stuff with the new quests Jay.

Have you attempted to do any branching (i.e. not simple fetch/kill) quests? Or are you waiting for more of the questing functionality to come online?

Be nice to introduce some non-main quest choices & consequences into Daggerfall. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods