Remastering Daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Remastering Daggerfall

Post by Interkarma »

I have decided, not lightly, to pitch in and start work on a burgeoning Daggerfall remake project, proudly using Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity. More information is in the following journal post.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/remastering-daggerfall/

This has come about based on my feeling that Daggerfall players are underrepresented by Daggerfall Tools for Unity. Unless you're a developer, or interested in those systems, there is unfortunately very little for the average player to experience in DFTFU. I want to remedy this and create a common remake scaffold - something that players can enjoy and developers can use as a basis for future work.

LypyL

Re: Remastering Daggerfall

Post by LypyL »

Wow! :D I think it's a great decision personally, and you've already made incredible progress in just this last update, I can't even keep track of all the new stuff in the WIP build :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you mate. :) And I hope everyone understands this doesn't really change anything on my end. We've basically been inching towards a remake anyway, so I might as well just put these systems together into a build that everyone can use as a common frame of reference.

This is hopefully a focal point that both developers and players can benefit from and have fun with. And it will be open source as usual, so if something happens to me the Daggerfall community can carry on.

Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

I'm an experienced Unity dev and while I don't have time to tackle developing an interesting branch myself I'd love to bang out a few helpful things here and there when I can. Is there gonna be a way someone like me can make a meaningful contribution? Maybe a trello with the road map broken into action items other people can take a whack at?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

G'day Fuzzy, welcome to the forums! :)

I think a Trello is a great idea. It will just take me a few weeks to gear up the initial build and seed the roadmap. From there, any help from yourself and the community at large would be amazing. With some clear objectives and organisation, there's a good chance this thing could expand very quickly.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

exciting! lots of work has been done but lots of work is on the road infront ;)

Eric

Post by Eric »

That are truly great news to me!
I started following this project about 10 months ago and im excited about the progress, wich was made.
Hearing this makes me happy, it's like a dream coming true.

But even in this moment of euphroism I want to give you some words:
This wont be easy at all!

I know you can handle this the moment I saw the things you already made possible.
But I fear that you get distracted and bored by so much work todo...

There are many voices now, saying what they want for this project, but you are the one in charge!
This project became what it is while you followed your desicions.
Dont hear at the others so much, do what you think is right!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Eric and Nystul. :) You guys already know that I'm not afraid of hard work or tackling difficult problems. But even then, I wouldn't take on a challenge of this size if I thought the Daggerfall community and crossover parts of the Unity community weren't behind me. This isn't just my project, it belongs to all of us.

However, I do plan on keeping things on track. To start with, I only want to tackle vanilla Daggerfall features blow-by-blow, then iterate the hell out of everything until it works well. The bones have to be right first and foremost. The upcoming Trello will help define my scope and prevent ideas from outrunning reality.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Yay! It's great. I hope it will attract more people to the project.
Who want make modifications for Daggerfall game now have access to great tools. Maybe they fill in the blank map of Daggerfall

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

So happy! thanks for all your hard work interkarma, you're making me nostalgasm all over again!