Possible Mobile Port?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
MrDowntempo

Possible Mobile Port?

Post by MrDowntempo »

I did a little search, and a mobile port has only really barely been mentioned here a few years ago it seems. As I understand it, Unity can compile to Android, iOS, and even things like Google Cardboard, Vive, Occulus etc. Daggerfall on my phone would be a dream come true. Obviously, it would require work on the modding end as well to redesign the interface for a touchscreen but that's certainly doable. Has anyone else here, considered a port to mobile platforms? Are there issues with the Unity code that may prevent those platforms from compiling successfully? Is anyone else excited to have an Elder Scrolls game on a phone in their pocket? :)

Narf the Mouse

Re: Possible Mobile Port?

Post by Narf the Mouse »

MrDowntempo wrote:I did a little search, and a mobile port has only really barely been mentioned here a few years ago it seems. As I understand it, Unity can compile to Android, iOS, and even things like Google Cardboard, Vive, Occulus etc. Daggerfall on my phone would be a dream come true. Obviously, it would require work on the modding end as well to redesign the interface for a touchscreen but that's certainly doable. Has anyone else here, considered a port to mobile platforms? Are there issues with the Unity code that may prevent those platforms from compiling successfully? Is anyone else excited to have an Elder Scrolls game on a phone in their pocket? :)
Unity Engine supports pretty near *anything. :) And yeah, VR support, too. :) Download the source code, flip a switch in the player settings, compile, and you can play Daggerfall Unity on your **Oculus or **Vive (or pretty near anything else). :D

Also, turn off ambient lighting if you do that. The results are worth it.

..."SCREEE!" :D

Anyway, I've got too much of my own unfinished stuff myself, but I hope you get help with this. :)

* List of supported platforms: https://unity3d.com/unity/features/multiplatform
** List of supported AR/VR devices: https://unity3d.com/unity/features/multiplatform/vr-ar
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Dimillian

Post by Dimillian »

Funny stuff, I just started to compile it for iOS this morning. While it's build and run on it, a lot of work will have to be done on the user interface and controls. And I'll start that only after all the main classic UI is done. But yes, it can be done and it requires quite a lot of work. But in the end, with a custom mobile UI it could run wonderfully!

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Dimillian wrote:Funny stuff, I just started to compile it for iOS this morning. While it's build and run on it, a lot of work will have to be done on the user interface and controls. And I'll start that only after all the main classic UI is done. But yes, it can be done and it requires quite a lot of work. But in the end, with a custom mobile UI it could run wonderfully!
So there aren't any code incompatibilities? This is going to be really cool! :D

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Dimillian wrote:Funny stuff, I just started to compile it for iOS this morning. While it's build and run on it, a lot of work will have to be done on the user interface and controls. And I'll start that only after all the main classic UI is done. But yes, it can be done and it requires quite a lot of work. But in the end, with a custom mobile UI it could run wonderfully!
So how are you going to get everything to work?

Dragothor

Post by Dragothor »

I am also very curious about this... could actually allow me to play df more. If anyone has any solid instructions or a point in the right direction of getting it running on android I'm pretty sure I can get the controls at least basically playable with my bluetooth controller. This would be very interesting to see.
So, I have no real experience with unity, what would be required exactly? Load the game on unity on pc and make a standalone apk that loads from a location on SD card? I really have no clue how this works, but a nudge in the right direction would be nice, thanks in advance!

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Dragothor wrote:I am also very curious about this... could actually allow me to play df more. If anyone has any solid instructions or a point in the right direction of getting it running on android I'm pretty sure I can get the controls at least basically playable with my bluetooth controller. This would be very interesting to see.
So, I have no real experience with unity, what would be required exactly? Load the game on unity on pc and make a standalone apk that loads from a location on SD card? I really have no clue how this works, but a nudge in the right direction would be nice, thanks in advance!
If you just want to play DF more, then you could just get it running in Magic DOSBox, there's a tutorial on YouTube somewhere.

Dragothor

Post by Dragothor »

Yeah I guess that would work too, but I'd also like to be able to help out testing builds and df unity is so buttery smooth. Will look into getting it running on mobile though

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I would not try to port Daggerfall unity to mobile. Some modder tried to do something similar with OpenMW and it got the OpenMW team in a lot of trouble with Bethesda. Bethesda really does not want Morrowind on mobile and I would assume they don't want Daggerfall on mobile ether. I would ask for Bethesda's premission first before doing this.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sort of. Bethesda and OpenMW reached an agreement that, although Morrowind is capable of being ported to mobile, the OpenMW team will never make mention of a mobile version or promote it. With that understanding made, Bethesda didn't care about what happened further.

DF and MW are different in the sense that one is free and the other is for sale, but I don't know to what extent that matters.