My UI up-scaling project.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Arl

My UI up-scaling project.

Post by Arl »

Hello, this is basically the same stuff you may have seen in the XLForums, but since little to none activity is happening there right now I decided to make a topic here too.

Here's some samples of what I'm working on, since my previous uploaded images are long gone now:

Character Screen:

Compass:

Rest:

Scroll over Stone:

Select Province/Race:

Name Thyself:

Here's the Imgur album , with some images in better quality and higher sizes (Still smaller than the original files I'm making, but uploading them would be impractical).

Hope you like it, I'll take any critique and suggestions.
Last edited by Arl on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Interkarma

Re: My UI up-scaling project.

Post by Interkarma »

This is really awesome, you know. I like that you keep the same look and feel as the originals but with more fidelity. I'd even love to see more fidelity so they look great on UHD screens too, but that's a big ask I know.

Would it be possible to get all of these in clean PNG formats? Some have lossy JPG. :)

Also, do you have any ideas about a (free license) TTF that's a good match for the default Daggerfall font? It should also have a range of international characters for future translation work.

I'd quite like to get this stuff into Daggerfall Unity at some point after the initial release. Would you be interested in working with me at some point to make this happen?

Arl

Post by Arl »

Interkarma wrote:This is really awesome, you know. I like that you keep the same look and feel as the originals but with more fidelity. I'd even love to see more fidelity so they look great on UHD screens too, but that's a big ask I know.
Well, I don't know much about that but... how big they would need to be? This is a comparison in real sizes:

Original - 320x200:
http://i.imgur.com/2VNRDK5.png

Upscaled - 1920x1200:
http://i.imgur.com/NiaBlPV.png
Interkarma wrote:Would it be possible to get all of these in clean PNG formats? Some have lossy JPG. :)

Yeah, I didn't expect the compression added by imgur, I'll use .png format from now on.

Interkarma wrote:Also, do you have any ideas about a (free license) TTF that's a good match for the default Daggerfall font? It should also have a range of international characters for future translation work.

That's a long-time issue, the common font of Daggerfall is so simple that, though oddly, I haven't been able to find one similar, and if one candidate is found often comes with problems with the "interletraje" (Google says that in English this is called kerning).

There are easy ones, like in this image of yours: http://www.dfworkshop.net/wp-content/up ... r-Beta.png

That's an obvious Gothic type font, such as this one: http://www.dafont.com/es/cloister-black ... +is+a+test...

I'm always looking, but so far I haven't stumbled with a decent result, sometimes I imagine making the font myself.

Interkarma wrote:I'd quite like to get this stuff into Daggerfall Unity at some point after the initial release. Would you be interested in working with me at some point to make this happen?

I'm most than willing to assist in whatever I can to anyone who could put those images to good use. I've been wishing to see that stuff in action from the first day, when I first put my hands on the original assets thanks to Daggerfall Imaging 2.

So, in a way, your work is the alpha and omega of my stuff.
Last edited by Arl on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Fantastic work Phobos, that looks wonderful!

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

This is great! Nice work. :)

Aliem

Post by Aliem »

As I said way back on the XL forums, your work is impeccable!

Arl

Post by Arl »

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm glad that my work still holds up for you after all this time.

Here's a couple that I don't remember showing before, simple stuff though:

Travel:

Saved Game Screen:
(Can't wait to see hi res screenshots in those panels.)

Waiting:

Saludos.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Your work is absolutely amazing. It really must take talent and hard work to redraw everything in high resolution while keeping that fidelity to the original. I can't wait to see these graphics in a fully working DFUnity.

GoodKarma

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm always looking, but so far I haven't stumbled with a decent result, sometimes I imagine making the font myself.

i was thinking about trying that my self..would u be willing to try to let me help u make a font. i just need some guidance. im trying to get into this scene and i think a custom font would be good a good way.

ps i wanted to re do the interface and menus... :(

Arl

Post by Arl »

GoodKarma wrote:i was thinking about trying that my self..would u be willing to try to let me help u make a font. i just need some guidance. im trying to get into this scene and i think a custom font would be good a good way.

Welcome to the forum GoodKarma.

Sadly, I don't know the first thing about making fonts, so I'm unable to lend you a hand with that right now. The idea of making a font myself is just the resulting state of my frustration by not finding a proper font, so for now it's just a fantasy.

I think your best option is search on the internet about making fonts, unless some font guru dwells unnoticed among us in this forum...