[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Interkarma »

Legend Nystul! Good job finding issue with sky, that one was puzzling me.

I've tested your build in 0.13.2 (next release) and everything is working great. :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, I use distant terrain 2.9.0 with DFU 0.13.2
I use the latest Interresting eroded terrains as well to produce this bug. (And Enhanced sky..)

When u enable "Fade into the skybox" it produces this horizontal line.

- Ive tested it a lot and narrowed the issue to this specific setting.

- Load order of Distant VS Interresting terrains does not matter.
Not sure which mod is causing the issue, but the setting in Distant terrain can cause(ON)/solve(OFF) it.

- All other settings in Distant terrain are OFF while testing this.

FADE INTO SKYBOX ON
ON.jpg
ON.jpg (329.36 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
FADE INTO SKYBOX OFF
OFF.jpg
OFF.jpg (317.2 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Another issue is when I use ONLY Distant terrain mod without any other terrain mods.
EDIT:
After more testing - this issue will manifest also when u enable Distant terrain (no matter what settings) + Interresting Eroded terrain

If I disable "Enable Improved Terrain" setting in the "distant terrain" mod It produces these white lines Ive captured in screenshot.

Its not a major issue I guess, as most of the ppl with use the improved terrain setting. Still, its a bug worth reporting I believe.
DaggerfallUnity 2021-11-06 13-42-03.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2021-11-06 13-42-03.jpg (210.91 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:50 pm Another issue is when I use ONLY Distant terrain mod without any other terrain mods.

If I disable "Enable Improved Terrain" setting in the "distant terrain" mod It produces these white lines Ive captured in screenshot.

Its not a major issue I guess, as most of the ppl with use the improved terrain setting. Still, its a bug worth reporting I believe.

DaggerfallUnity 2021-11-06 13-42-03.jpg

EDIT:
After more testing - this issue will manifest also when u enable Distant terrain (no matter what settings) + Interresting Eroded terrain BUT ONLY when the View Distance in the game is set to 4. When set to 2, this issue is gone :lol:

So its possible to use these mods together without a issue but the settings must be:
Terrain view distance = 2
Fade into skybox = OFF
Enhanced terrain = OFF
I think this is a unity bug I noticed this first time after heavy terrain changes in unity itself in newer unity versions somewhere around 2 years ago
I have no idea what causes this

about the fade into skybox - this is no bug, working as "intended" - this is how I it just looks ;) it never was optimal, also because the fade into horizon does not take clouds into account
beside this, the sun of the enhanced sky mod in version 3.0 is larger than before, exaggerating this issue even more - have to take a look at enhanced sky mod to see why sun is so big ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

1 issue I still have, no matter the settings of distant terrain mod or ingame terrain distance is, that when combined with Interresting Eroded terrains, I get these white seams grid in the distance. Is this the issue with Distant terrain or the Interresting Eroded terrain? Any chance to get this solved? (or is this the supposed Unity bug you spoke in prev post?)
DaggerfallUnity_2021-11-06_13-30-50.jpg
DaggerfallUnity_2021-11-06_13-30-50.jpg (557.27 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, this mod will also need to support runtime retro mode changes. The mod still works OK as-is, just user will need to restart game for retro mode change to take effect. Fix should be the same in concept as PR I sent to Enhanced Sky master. Please just let me know if any help needed. :)

https://github.com/Nystul-the-Magician/ ... ll/7/files

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:25 pm Nystul, this mod will also need to support runtime retro mode changes. The mod still works OK as-is, just user will need to restart game for retro mode change to take effect. Fix should be the same in concept as PR I sent to Enhanced Sky master. Please just let me know if any help needed. :)

https://github.com/Nystul-the-Magician/ ... ll/7/files
will take a look, thank you for providing the example ;)
King of Worms wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:16 pm 1 issue I still have, no matter the settings of distant terrain mod or ingame terrain distance is, that when combined with Interresting Eroded terrains, I get these white seams grid in the distance. Is this the issue with Distant terrain or the Interresting Eroded terrain? Any chance to get this solved? (or is this the supposed Unity bug you spoke in prev post?)

DaggerfallUnity_2021-11-06_13-30-50.jpg
this is the "unity bug" i mentioned, yes. not sure if it is really a bug caused by unity itself, but I first realized it in a new version of unity some time after the job system changes - I am not sure if this always happens or if it sometimes happens - because I sometimes get no seams at all and sometimes they are everywhere - there is sometimes a unity warning about neighboring terrains - when this warning happens, I see such seams but I have no idea what causes it.
Does it only happen when Eroded Terrain is used in combination with Distant Terrain? Or does it happen in Distant Terrain isolated as well?
Can you provide a way to reproduce this issue all the time (maybe a savegame)?

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Nystul wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:59 amDoes it only happen when Eroded Terrain is used in combination with Distant Terrain? Or does it happen in Distant Terrain isolated as well?
As far as I know, it happens always with Distant Terrain mod enabled. Also when it's the only active mod.
One place I always see it is just outside Privateer's Hold, as you look at the hills north-east. Sometimes it's not apparent, since the sky is showing through these seams... so it depends on the sky color.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

new version 2.9.1 on nexus now supporting retro mode changes at runtime

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ifkopifko wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:35 pm
Nystul wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:59 amDoes it only happen when Eroded Terrain is used in combination with Distant Terrain? Or does it happen in Distant Terrain isolated as well?
As far as I know, it happens always with Distant Terrain mod enabled. Also when it's the only active mod.
One place I always see it is just outside Privateer's Hold, as you look at the hills north-east. Sometimes it's not apparent, since the sky is showing through these seams... so it depends on the sky color.
no holes for me outside Privateer's Hold, see this screenshot:

I suspect a side effect from combination with other mods or could it be a problem related to dated hardware?