[DFUnity] Russian translation

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Interkarma

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by Interkarma »

Jagget wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:44 am The game never loads this localized quest. I see it always in English.

Code: Select all

DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Text\Quests\_TUTOR__-LOC.txt
Hey. :) I'll have a look at why that filename isn't being picked up.

Jagget wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:53 am Also, could you please elaborate more on the BIOGs files? Like, here, I do have 2 files BIOG07T0.TXT (original) and BIOG07T1.TXT (translated) //just an example. I actually have all BIOG files in pairs.
And the game sometimes takes one, sometimes another. There's nothing in logs about that.
Or am I doing something wrong?
Because if I just replace – it's translated, yeah. But I would like to utilize that INDEX feature for translation.
In StreamingAssets/BIOGs, directly replace files BIOG00T0.TXT through BIOG17T0.TXT. If you're seeing files ending with something other than T0, such as a T1 or T2, these comes from some mod. Only the files ending in T0 are part of the core game.

To summarise what's happening - when there are multiple BIOG files such as T0, T1, T2, etc. then one of these is selected at random. In theory they should all work provided you translated all variations. But because one is picked at random, it may or may not be the one you're working on. In any case, they're not part of the core game and probably shouldn't be bundled with your translation mod.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:39 am To summarise what's happening - when there are multiple BIOG files such as T0, T1, T2, etc. then one of these is selected at random.
Oh! I see! Thank you very much! That exactly what I saw... :D
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The problem with quest "_TUTOR__-LOC.txt" is that it's missing a DisplayName field in quest, which localization requires. If you add the DisplayName field below quest name like below, it should import OK.

Quest: _TUTOR__
DisplayName: Tutorial
I'll patch this in master so this quest has a DisplayName.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:43 am The problem with quest "_TUTOR__-LOC.txt" is that it's missing a DisplayName field in quest, which localization requires. If you add the DisplayName field below quest name like below, it should import OK.

Quest: _TUTOR__
DisplayName: Tutorial
I'll patch this in master so this quest has a DisplayName.
Awesome! Can confirm that it works! Thank you!

One more question: this "DisplayName" can be translated, yes?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, the text after the colon in "DisplayName:" can be translated. That's the only part that will be shown to player.

The translated display name will be shown to player when "quest lists" are enabled in settings and player asks for quests at a guild. That's why I made it a required field. The TUTOR quest technically doesn't need this as it never shows again. It just got caught up in the process. :)

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:48 am Yep, the text after the colon in "DisplayName:" can be translated. That's the only part that will be shown to player.

The translated display name will be shown to player when "quest lists" are enabled in settings and player asks for quests at a guild. That's why I made it a required field. The TUTOR quest technically doesn't need this as it never shows again. It just got caught up in the process. :)
Thank you! One more question about items names. They are usually concatenated like "Iron" + "Katana"
What if I want it to be "Katana (iron)"? Where do I need to change it?

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Also, `equippingWeapon,Equipping %s` from Internal_Strings.csv taking this "%s" form somewhere else, I can't find the way to translate that too

Jovan Garza

Post by Jovan Garza »

@Jagget, where can I subscribe to updates on the progress of your work on translating the game into Russian?

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Jovan Garza wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:11 pm @Jagget, where can I subscribe to updates on the progress of your work on translating the game into Russian?
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/511/

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jagget wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:31 pm Thank you! One more question about items names. They are usually concatenated like "Iron" + "Katana"
What if I want it to be "Katana (iron)"? Where do I need to change it?
This is in Internal_Strings.csv as ingredientFormatString, longWeaponNameFormatString, longArmorNameFormatString. The default is "{0} {1}" where material name is injected at {0} and item template name is injected at {1}. For example in English this would expand as "Iron Sword" where {0} is replaced with "Iron" and {1} is replaced with "Sword". Change these format strings to suit your grammar.

For example in French longWeaponNameFormatString would be "{1} de {0}" which would expand as something like "Épée de fer" instead of "Iron Sword". Assuming French translator has also converted item and material names.

For your case of "Katana (Iron)" you'd set the longWeaponNameFormatString to "{1} ({0})". You can basically structure the format string however you like, provided {0} and {1} are in there somewhere.

Jagget wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:56 pm Also, `equippingWeapon,Equipping %s` from Internal_Strings.csv taking this "%s" form somewhere else, I can't find the way to translate that too
The "%s" expands into whatever the formatted item name is. This is one of those tricky spots with dependencies where you have to translate all the parts to make it work properly. Item names are constructed mainly from Internal_Strings.csv (material names, format strings as above), Internal_Items.csv (item template names), Internal_MagicItems.csv (magic item template names).

Items are definitely one of the more complicated areas that touch multiple string databases. Even in English this was a real pain to work out from the original's gamedata and put it all back together again.