[DFUnity] Russian translation

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Jagget

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:27 pm The "%s" expands into whatever the formatted item name is. This is one of those tricky spots with dependencies where you have to translate all the parts to make it work properly. Item names are constructed mainly from Internal_Strings.csv (material names, format strings as above), Internal_Items.csv (item template names), Internal_MagicItems.csv (magic item template names).

Items are definitely one of the more complicated areas that touch multiple string databases. Even in English this was a real pain to work out from the original's gamedata and put it all back together again.
Yeah, I understand how it works in general, but this exact place is not translated at all. And seems like it takes its own text. Let me show you:

As you can see, it's translated in the inventory (material and item), but in this message it uses only item, and I tried to search through text everywhere, I cannot find "Saber". The only place I was able to find it is in
DaggerfallUnity_Data\resources.assets\Assets\TextAsset\ItemTemplates.json, but using this is impossible.

So, for me it still looks like "equippingWeapon" is taking text not from CSV files
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Item names are template based. Once generated from template, final item name exists in save data. The translation is only applied at the point item is created, so any already generated items will retain their name from generation time.

To test item translations, be sure to remove any already generated items and use "add" commands from console to generate new items. Provided you've translated all the template names, the next time item is generated it will use localised name from template.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've found the problem why your second screenshot isn't using localized template name. From 0.16.1, the "equipping weapon" string will properly use template name from Internal_Items.csv. Giving it a test below. :)

test.jpg
test.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 621 times

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:45 pm I've found the problem why your second screenshot isn't using localized template name. From 0.16.1, the "equipping weapon" string will properly use template name from Internal_Items.csv. Giving it a test below. :)

test.jpg
Yes! Yes! I knew it!... :lol:

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:45 pm I've found the problem why your second screenshot isn't using localized template name. From 0.16.1, the "equipping weapon" string will properly use template name from Internal_Items.csv. Giving it a test below. :)
Have another question, as usual.

I hope in 0.16.1 I will be able to rename "Main Quest"

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Where do you want to rename "Main Quest"? What I mean is - where do you see this in-game, so I know what text you're referring to. :)

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:20 am Where do you want to rename "Main Quest"? What I mean is - where do you see this in-game, so I know what text you're referring to. :)
OK, this is questionable. The mod "convenient quest log" is getting original names from somewhere. I only see original Headers in Journal with this mod. So maybe I cannot translate whatever they are using. It rather requires that mod translation, I guess. But then again, they DO read it from somewhere...

P.S. Maybe they read it directly from "StreamingAssets\Quests\" then localized version is getting lost on them. Can we feed localized quests to mods, even if they read this folder? It's a silly question, but anyway

P.P.S.
The same original name I see in "Finished Quests" list even without that mod

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Quest name should come from the "DisplayName:" field in your translated StreamingAssets/Text/Quests folder. I can fix anywhere in the core game where this isn't displayed properly, but that might not fix mods. If mod is bypassing localization lookups, there's not much I can do about that. The best anyone can do in that case is contact mod author and ask them to fix mod.

I'll at least correct this not displaying localized quest name in "Completed Quests" when I have time.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:50 am I'll at least correct this not displaying localized quest name in "Completed Quests" when I have time.
That will be more than enough! Thank you! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just checking this and the "Finished Quests" page is definitely using localised names.

Probably what's happening in your case is the quest was started before its DisplayName was translated. Quests are one of the areas where text is cached in save data after being instanced.

Try "purgeallquests" and starting a new quest that has already been translated. It should use the localised name when that quest is completed. With some luck, this might even be the case for the mod. :)

finished-quests.jpg
finished-quests.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 509 times