[DFUnity] Russian translation

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Jagget

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:28 am Sure, I'll have a closer look when I can. :)

Something else you can do next time it presents in English is to grab a copy of the player.log file in persistent data path. If there's some error, it will fallback to default English text. I might be able to catch what's happening if it's something going wrong at runtime.
I tried to reproduce it, but it is unstable. So, it might take a while. But next time I'll attach the log file!
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:28 am Sure, I'll have a closer look when I can. :)

Something else you can do next time it presents in English is to grab a copy of the player.log file in persistent data path. If there's some error, it will fallback to default English text. I might be able to catch what's happening if it's something going wrong at runtime.
I'm still trying to get it reproduced, but I got the report that I'm not the only one who have this problem. This quest sometimes just didn't get translated.
Attachments
MySaveandLog.zip
(345.56 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Daneel53 from the French team emailed me recently with steps to reproduce what I believe is the same problem. It's a save/load problem that can affect any localized quest.

To reproduce in 0.16.1 and lower.
  1. Start a localized quest (e.g. from Fighters Guild) but do not open journal after accepting quest.
  2. Save and exit game.
  3. Start game and reload save
  4. Open journal and note quest is not localized.
The core problem was that localized quest messages were not reloaded when quest was restored from save. This didn't matter if quest was recently compiled as localizations are still memory resident, but once game is restarted then localizations are never reloaded. I've added a step to restore localized quest messages when loading a game and can no longer reproduce this problem.

I also found that starting quests from console also did not load localizations correctly, and have fixed that too.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:47 pm I also found that starting quests from console also did not load localizations correctly, and have fixed that too.
Thank you very much!

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:47 pm The core problem was that localized quest messages were not reloaded when quest was restored from save.
Does this mean that we don't need to start a new game anymore and that we can install translation in the middle of the game, and all quests will be translated now? Even that are completed or that are in progress state?

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Meanwhile I found one more text that I cannot translate
There are lines
----
primary,
secondary,
----
in GameSettings.txt, but they don't apply.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-19 165205.png
Screenshot 2023-10-19 165205.png (53.36 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jagget wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:48 pm Does this mean that we don't need to start a new game anymore and that we can install translation in the middle of the game, and all quests will be translated now? Even that are completed or that are in progress state?
This should work for in-progress quests. Just keep in mind that some elements of quests go into save data only once, e.g. "finished quests" log. The best way to be 100% certain a quest is working is to restart and replay quest.

You'll also need to restart play session (i.e. save and exit game > start game and reload save) to refresh quest messages from localized quest files. Once a localized string is loaded into runtime string tables, it stays there until game exits.

Jagget wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:54 pm Meanwhile I found one more text that I cannot translate
primary
secondary
These were added recently along with the text on Joystick UI. You can localize these in upcoming 0.16.2 release.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

The question is not directly connected to translation, but... :)

In book files I can make as long a string as I want, then in the game it will be adjusted to the specific width and the player will see a normalized text of several lines.

In the quest messages though, it renders directly as is. Also, the long text with too many lines will be rendered as several messages. How hard is it to add a string limit and scrolling, just like in the books :?:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Unlike books which are displayed by a single UI, quest messages can be displayed in a variety of ways. They might be used for a letter/popup (messagebox UI), a rumour (talk UI), a journal entry (journal UI), and elsewhere. There's no one size fits all approach for text wrapping that will work everywhere quest messages can be displayed.

If you just mean the journal UI, I scoped this out a while back. It's definitely possible, but would involve UI to be rewritten. I ultimately decided it was a small benefit for a lot of my time, as I'm trying to separate myself from the project after 1.0. Maybe it's something a future steward will improve upon.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:47 pm I'm trying to separate myself from the project after 1.0. Maybe it's something a future steward will improve upon.
Totally make sense. Thanks!