KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Interkarma »

That looks incredible! In addition to the eye candy, I love reading about all the thought that goes into this.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you :)

Ive felt that the Jungle one was sub par, wanted to add some more greenery to that (again to connect the interior with the outside climate zone) - but how to merge the temple with the nature, when all u have is 4 textures? This one was hard and Ive spent many hours iterating on it, because it never felt coherent enough.

For me, the details like the horizontal dividing wood plank on the walls, which merges walls to the floors and the ceiling, make or break the set. The ceiling was hard to create for me as well. Connected it to the walls with the ivy patches and ofc the ivy on the pillars. Ive remade the pillars as well, they had too much grey marble parts. Changed the window glass shade to be more inline with the interior colors (light bounces) Final touch was adding the small fallen leaves on the ground and creating the iron handle on the alternative wall...
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (437.14 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (438.73 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (421.2 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Pt2
Spoiler!
05.jpg
05.jpg (459.42 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (331.17 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

edelgart

Post by edelgart »

As for the new exit portal,gorgeous is the only word i could find,iv'seen some previous versions that you did and i know that it was a long road,but in the end i think it was worth it,as for the temples,all fit and look great,but the jungle one i think you overdid it a little,with the plants inside,especialy the ceilings,but being serious i dunno how to make it appear more jungle like without some plants,maybe try some mossy textures,, :)

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

It's looking real pretty!
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Ragavar

Post by Ragavar »

Those are some pretty temples!

I especially like the mainland temple type due to the contrasts of the colours used. The orange & teal look might be a cliché at this point, but it "pops" real nicely and livens the place up. The disadvantage of this is however, that the other temples look rather drab in comparison since there is so little contrast. The desert temple looks fine imho, the grey pillars are a nice contrast against the brown floor and walls. The jungle and mountain temples could, in my estimation, do with some more contrast. The plants inside the jungle temple are a nice addition, although I wonder if they wouldn't look better if they were climbing on the horizontal wooden plank/wall ornament instead. I like the floor/wall contrast of the jungle temple a lot. The mountain temple could perhaps use some lighter colours (marble perhaps?) to break things up - it's definitely the most "boring" looking temple of the bunch (although one might argue that this isn't by definition a bad thing).

But either way, that is some impressive texture work KoW :). Thanks!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I agree with the contrast remarks. I will try to add some to the mountain temple... problem with this is, that its not that easy :X It might look good in photoshop, but than ingame it sucks. This happens all the time. The way I produce these areas is very user unfriendly. Unfortunatelly this in not done in editor where I could see the changes. I design texture, than in other prog I design the normal maps, height etc... load in unity where I can see the material only, there set up various parameters, strength of each layer, smoothness etc, build mod, load DFU, load save game and it looks bad. Rinse and repeat. Watching the final screenshots only makes this look easy, I know. Anyway, when I feel like it, I might do some more about it.

Ragavar

Post by Ragavar »

That *does* sound like a huge pain in the behind. I always presumed that testing a texture was as easy as importing it into the Unity Editor and voilá; there's how it looks in-game. It further elevates my appreciation for you jumping through these hoops whenever you make/tweak a texture.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you Ragavar :)

Ive remade some of the textures, jungle temple has standard ceiling, mountain temple has remade floor, the mainland and desert temples have remade alternative walls (each temple has alternative wall set, usually the alternative looks almost the same as the base texture, so you will not notice it - these alternative walls are usually to be seen somewhere around the entrance - so I decided to make em stand out more in this particular way. Same thing will happen with the alternative dungeon walls. Ive learned/realized this recently)

Fun fact, you can buy the mainland temple wall decors and mount em on your home walls IRL, candles not included.... :lol:
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (348.45 KiB) Viewed 890 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (510.62 KiB) Viewed 890 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (398.53 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Mountain temple
Spoiler!
04.jpg
04.jpg (364.2 KiB) Viewed 889 times