No respawning dungeons

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Lorex

No respawning dungeons

Post by Lorex » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:42 am

First of all, thank you for this project, brings new life to DF and it can unleash the true potential of the game!

Now, I always thought that having litterally thousands of dungeons at disposal but being able to grind/farm in just one by exiting and reentering was just unimmersive... I think with not-respawning dungeons there'd be also a sense of accomplishment in each playtrough, and quests should only point you toward unvisited dungeons...

Is it doable?

Also I would say that this would be perfect paired with an unleveled world! What do you think?

Hazelnut

Re: No respawning dungeons

Post by Hazelnut » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:01 pm

What you're suggesting is that the game keeps full state for every dungeon you visit. I think that's a bit much to ask for a game the size of Daggerfall, so no.

The reset is so you can't gradually grind through a dungeon, once you're in you complete the mission or you exit and are back to square one. It would be easy enough to have dungeon state persist until you entered a different dungeon, so you could exit and return to pick up exactly where you left off, but this would break that part of the DF game design so I didn't implement it when I did the work persistence code. It could be added as a toggle behaviour switch if a lot of people were keen, but my opinion was it broke a fundamental part of DF, and I would need quite some convincing.

Lorex

Post by Lorex » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm

I see, a lot of data to store. Anyway I don't know if I've been misunderstood but I was thinking about this as a mod, not a in-game feature of the base game. My bad if I wasn't clear enough.

Yeah probably the fact that you can't reset the dungeon anymore upon reentering opens other scenarios and yoy can even break the game, but it's normal with modding and you must take everything into consideration.

Just out of curiosity... how difficult is DU modding, say, compared to Morrowind? (I only had modding experience with that game)

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 am

I don't think it should be out of the question as a mod in 2018. Games often take tens of gigabytes now. I would install that mod!

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 am

I'd definitely use that mod.

daggerfallman

Post by daggerfallman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 am

There are other options worth considering than remembering the state of all dungeons or remembering the state of only the last dungeon.

Something along the lines of saving dungeon state for X in-game days would seem reasonable both in terms of gameplay experience and technical requirements (tbh even saving dungeon state for a few 1000 dungeons in environments as simple as df should be well within reason in the $currentyear).