Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Post by Interkarma »

I can confirm Info mode behaviour is different between mobile NPCs and static NPCs. It's also different between buildings and doors on the same building. It really is a bit of a mess. :)

On a personal level, I'm not a big fan of the different interaction modes at all. I would have preferred to handle this in another (non-classic) way. The challenge is we all have a slightly different vision of what our ideal Daggerfall looks and plays like, and there's only so many toggles we can put it before it becomes unwieldy. So copying classic behaviour is my usual go-to when implementing new features - then QoL improvements are eased in around the periphery with varying degrees of success.

Sometimes QoL improvements are clear and obvious like scrollbars in inventory window. The space is there for them, and DF even uses scrollbars elsewhere, so it was an easy choice to add them. But other times QoL improvements change the game slightly, and feedback is a way to identify which direction the wheel should turn next.

On a personal level, I very much prefer instant repairs (and magic repair enabled). The combination of delayed repairs and unrepairable magic items in classic .213 stressed out my younger self. I was more inclined to just replace a weapon with something that dropped rather than repair it or bother enchanting another one.

But you can also make the argument that delayed repairs and no magic repair are an intentional part of classic design. So longer term, it would be great to implement delayed repairs and add two new options - one to enable instant repairs, and one to enable magic repairs. I don't place any priority on that however, it's just one of those peripheral features that are more flavour than anything.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

In any case, the mess is classic's fault, not DFU's! And agree 1000% with you on the instant repair/magic repair, but also agree it would make sense down the road for the classic (delayed repair/no magic repair) behavior to be the default, with instant/magic repair as options.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Mike. :)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

You've seen how that Blacksmith hammers on that anvil. He ain't got time to repair your sword instantly; He's a busy man! He'll just add it to the heap and get to it when he can... but if you want it done right now, it will cost extra. And magic repairs cost even more. The Blacksmith has got to call his guy from the local guild to come over and take a look at it. That kind of contract work ain't cheap you know.

Perhaps it should be a function of Mercantile skill and Personality attribute, multiplied by a crude demand function that changes daily.

Yeah, this might be best suited to the domain of a MOD. Maybe I'll take a swing at it if I get some free time.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pmOn a personal level, I'm not a big fan of the different interaction modes at all. I would have preferred to handle this in another (non-classic) way.
Interface controls don't change world behavior and should be fair game. We all know that the interaction modes do nothing but add keystrokes and confusion in order to do and see what you want. Repair time is admittedly a dumb chore, but it's far more a mod than control changes.

I mean, the game literally shows you "Locked" info text when you grab a locked door. Or "The body has no treasure" when you grab a corpse. If grab shows info, then info mode is redundant and we needn't hide store hours. And walls can't be talked to, so there's no reason why clicking one can't display the discovered name. The only conflict is talk/info on quest NPCs. So... show the NPC name when you rest your crosshair on them for 2 seconds? Bam, info mode eliminated.

Dialog mode: grabbing people talks to them. Redundant mode!

Pickpocket: why can't this be a hotkey like casting spells. Do we have a spellcasting mode? No.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I'm gonna just recommend doing it like this for the sake of new users. Disable the toggles under the controls, except for steal mode. Steal mode would just place the steal icon above the crosshair and go away when you click, you wouldn't toggle in and out of it. A hotkey action would be better, but since we're using the original interface art, we can't get rid of "mode" to reflect that.
nomodes2.png
nomodes2.png (82.06 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Have now implemented repair times and submitted a PR. Instant repair option is in the gameplay settings. Also when you leave an item for repair, a note is added to the notebook so you know when and where you left it. However it doesn't show when it will be done because the daggerfall repair time calculation can change when other items are left so it would get outdated and look bugged.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods