Quest Debugger?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Vingard

Quest Debugger?

Post by Vingard »

Yeah so i have this quest that i need to end but i need to know the id of the quest and to know that i apparently need the debbuger. Problem is i don't know how to activate it and no mention of how to anywhere. Any help appreciated.

Jay_H

Re: Quest Debugger?

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome! :)

Activate the debugger with Shift+Tab. There are various layers to it, but the only one you need for an active quest is the left side.

Switch between active quests with [ and ].

Vingard

Post by Vingard »

Oh so simple haha anyway thanks.

Vingard

Post by Vingard »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:56 pm Welcome! :)

Activate the debugger with Shift+Tab. There are various layers to it, but the only one you need for an active quest is the left side.

Switch between active quests with [ and ].
Ok so it works, i managed to end the quest, new question though, what else can you do with the debugger, or is that it? Really cool either way.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's a short primer to quest debugger in following topic.

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=525

The main purpose is to inspect internal state of quests while they're running. It also outputs a bit more information such as direction to nearby quest buildings or NPC reputation from Info clicks when open.

One undocumented trick is "startquest <questname>" from console will use the last NPC you clicked as the quest-giver for that quest. You can also use "modnpcrep <amount>" to increase your reputation with the last NPC you clicked by some positive or negative value. You can also stop and clear quests, and teleport to certain targets.

I originally had a more IDE-like quest debugger in mind. But as the quest system evolved, I found myself wanting to see all the task and timer states without breaking out of game except to enter commands. The current format of HUD output and complementary console commands came to be what I settled on.

I'd still like to add step-through execution to quest debugger someday, but most quests are only 20-50 lines of code and it doesn't seem that necessary once you grok how the execution works anyway.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:38 am I originally had a more IDE-like quest debugger in mind. But as the quest system evolved, I found myself wanting to see all the task and timer states without breaking out of game except to enter commands. The current format of HUD output and complementary console commands came to be what I settled on.

I'd still like to add step-through execution to quest debugger someday, but most quests are only 20-50 lines of code and it doesn't seem that necessary once you grok how the execution works anyway.
VS Code allows to make something like this with the use of a regex to parse the output of an external tool. In the example provided they parse the output of the gcc compiler to link an error to a specific position in a file open in editor. It caught my attention during the development of the Template extension, so i thinked to point it out as a possible solution. Not sure how well it would work for a live running debugger, though. Something to investigate :)

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Since every time I land here and get confused, let me point out that the hot key to open the debugger at the time of this post is Shift+Ctrl+D, as documented in
this post and the HUDQuestDebugger API, and that the EnableQuestDebugger must be True in settings.ini (a text file stored in the directory shown in the main window of Daggerfall Unity).