Readable Books

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
willershuh

Readable Books

Post by willershuh » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:31 pm

What is it?
Just what it says in the title. I altered spacing and line breaks to make it possible to fully read all the books of Daggerfall. I always found it a shame that text often ran off the pages, because I love the books in these games - so that's the main thing I've addressed. All lines have been corrected to be 63 characters or less. I also corrected any pages that had too many lines, or lacked a terminator code. Empty pages were deleted. Paragraphs now have two spaces at the start, for a consistent indent length. Finally, those ugly groups of spaces that plagued so many books have all been cleaned up.

What is it not?
I didn't correct any spelling, or change anything to match the lore. I didn't fix punctuation (except in a few cases). I didn't break the occasional walls of text down into paragraphs. I didn't alter the inconsistent spacing between pages and after titles. Those are things that I may want to do in the future. Many books are in need of more attention, and there is still a fair amount of odd spacing. But this version aims only to make all the books readable. The Fools' Ebony series in particular is greatly improved. Just consider this a first pass. It's far from perfect.

How do I install it?
  • The preferred method (doesn't overwrite the original books - thanks pango!):
    Navigate to your DFU directory. Drop all of the book files into DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Books.
  • The old-school method (overwrites books, but also works for classic install):
    Navigate to the directory you installed Daggerfall into (not DFU). Drop the book files into arena2/books, overwriting everything.
Finally, I just wanted to request that if you notice any lines running off the page, or empty pages, please bring them to my attention. There's always a chance that I missed something. All the other problems - I'm aware of, and hope to fix eventually. But feel free to mention those too.

Thanks to the DFU team for your amazing work. Testing this would have been a nightmare in classic.

Download:
books.zip
(309.27 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by willershuh on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: Readable Books

Post by pango » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you very much for looking into this willershuh :)
willershuh wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:31 pm
Just navigate to the directory you installed Daggerfall into (not DFU). Change to the "arena2" subdirectory. Then drag the "books" folder from my archive into the "arena2" folder, overwriting everything. (I think there's a way to do it with DFU, that doesn't require you to overwrite the books? Maybe with the StreamingAssets folder?)
From reading the source, it should be possible to override books by putting the files under ../StreamingAssets/Books/
[somewhat later] Yup, fixed The Banker's Bet just fine :)
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

willershuh

Post by willershuh » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks buddy. I updated the OP with those instructions. And glad you're liking it so far. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Great work! ;)

PS: this feature is documented here.
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.