Persistent Dungeons

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: Persistent Dungeons

Post by Ralzar »

And if 0 really is unlimited time, is that really reasonable defaults?
If nothing else, won’t some dungeons get rediculously cluttered with corpses over time?

pango

Post by pango »

jedidia wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:12 pm From the description in the first page:
Max Game Days To Remember Dungeon - Set how many in-game days to track dungeons. Set to 0 for unlimited time.
Corpse Decay Time - How many in-game days before enemy corpses go away. Corpses will take their loot with them. Set to 0 for unlimited time.
Max Number of Dungeons To Remember - The maximum number of dungeons to keep track of. If this is exceeded, stored data for dungeons will be removed starting with the oldest. Set to 0 for unlimited number of dungeons to remember.
So those would appear to be reasonable defaults, maybe something's broken in the interpretation of 0 in the mod loader?
Damn, I never noticed that!
Yes, it seems zeroes don't work. Or at least both main settings set to 0 doesn't work. And I'm not sure it can be made to work, would DFU work fine with a hundred or few hundred remembered dungeons? Mmmh

By the way, where are the sources of this mod?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

That would be so cool if zero days/dungeons really meant no days/dungeons.
I am heading back to harpy hell for another go.
New settings will be 40-40-40. I mean , if God can clean up the entire earth in 40 days, I ought to be able to clean out a dungeon in 40. :roll:

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

And if 0 really is unlimited time, is that really reasonable defaults?
If nothing else, won’t some dungeons get rediculously cluttered with corpses over time?
Well, if there's nothing respawning, there's nothing to pile up... What you describe could happen if you set the corpse persistence to 0 but not the respawn rate, though.
And I'm not sure it can be made to work, would DFU work fine with a hundred or few hundred remembered dungeons? Mmmh
I don't suppose there's any lazy loading of savegame data, so probably it would just depend on how much RAM that stuff takes up and how much of it you got to spare. Though remember that basically all the dungeons are persisted in the game data right now, and vanilla daggerfall isn't that big. If the data structures used to store that stuff aren't ridiculously inefficient, you should be easily able to store the complete state of every single dungeon a few dozen times over in a GB.

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

Blowingsand wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm That would be so cool if zero days/dungeons really meant no days/dungeons.
I am heading back to harpy hell for another go.
New settings will be 40-40-40. I mean , if God can clean up the entire earth in 40 days, I ought to be able to clean out a dungeon in 40. :roll:
After getting quest item, I'm back in Daggerfall and a letter is delivered. Apparently someone on the same quest has been taken prisoner in the harpy dungeon and needs to be rescued. So I go back to the same dungeon and all the harpys have returned, too. If there is a setting, that actually makes this mod work, I'd love to hear from you.

pango

Post by pango »

If you provide a game save, someone may have a look...
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Would this mod work as part of a framework for the Unleveld World mod concept?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=191

I feel like there is some overlap since having the world unleveled is in some ways having a persistent world where it doesn't keep adjusting to the player.

For example, having the dungeons pre-generated at random levels. So they are persisten before the player has entered them? Problem would be that it could reduce randomness if the mod just contained one instance of each dungeon. And it would (if it could not be done by scripting) be a lot of manual work to pre-seed all dungeons.

pango

Post by pango »

That would probably be a very inefficient way to implement unleveled world, as Daggerfall has over 4000 dungeons...
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Dungeon types could be seeded by level. Dungeon types could be automatically configured to only spawn certain types of enemies; Natural Caves are already very low level so they could exclusively spawn bats, rats, and spiders. Orc Strongholds could be medium-level and only spawn humanoids and orcs. Vampire Haunts and Covens could be high-level. Thus, if you see the Fighters Guild trying to send you into The Elyzyna Coven to find a missing child, you already know to turn back...

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, seeding is the way to go, much cheaper.
I was thinking of adding adjectives to dungeon names in dialogs, but tying difficulty and dungeon types could probably work fine too, with the right enemies mapping...
-- Charles Goodhart