Issues seen during SteepGaming streams

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Issues seen during SteepGaming streams

Post by pango »

First 10 episodes of Paladin Build streams have been covered elsewhere already.

Paladin Build EP11

Shorter episode, not many issues or feature requests to report this time

Dungeon style that matches dungeon type and name (mod material?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeeEv6jXOk&t=1577

Ability to write notes on the 3d map to pair teleporters (feature request)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeeEv6jXOk&t=3212

Need to press R twice (reported during EP5 and possibly already fixed, but he's still using 0.7.32)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeeEv6jXOk&t=3574

Possibility to loiter more than 3 hours at a time (feature request)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeeEv6jXOk&t=4589
It's for entirely clear to me either why there's this limitation. I got some ideas but nothing totally convincing.
And with those guilds opening at 11:00, you often have to use it twice
Last edited by pango on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Re: Issues seen during SteepGaming streams

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 am Possibility to loiter more than 3 hours at a time (feature request)
It's for entirely clear to me either why there's this limitation. I got some ideas but nothing totally convincing.
This has been requested before on the forums, and also has my vote.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 amAbility to write notes on the 3d map to pair teleporters (feature request)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeeEv6jXOk&t=3212
If something on the map needs labeled, then automark it the way you do the exit. Portals are just entrance/exit pairs, 1a to 1b, 2a to 2b, etc.

pango

Post by pango »

mikeprichard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 am
pango wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 am Possibility to loiter more than 3 hours at a time (feature request)
This has been requested before on the forums, and also has my vote.
Yup, the link already goes do your discussion with King of Worms on the topic :)
BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 am If something on the map needs labeled, then automark it the way you do the exit. Portals are just entrance/exit pairs, 1a to 1b, 2a to 2b, etc.
Well, if the automap takes care of that, I hope it goes one step further, like make both teleporters blink, or even draw an arrow between them, when the mouse hovers on one.

That said, I still see use cases for player markers/notes. Say in a specific place I hear my quest monster somewhere behind the north wall; I wish I could mark the place and see it on the 3d map, and I don't think it can be automated...
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote:Well, if the automap takes care of that, I hope it goes one step further, like make both teleporters blink, or even draw an arrow between them, when the mouse hovers on one.
A line connecting the two on mouseover is sufficient. But there's little interest in improving the maps.
pango wrote:That said, I still see use cases for player markers/notes. Say in a specific place I hear my quest monster somewhere behind the north wall; I wish I could mark the place and see it on the 3d map, and I don't think it can be automated...
What happens when people don't delete their notes, the dungeon gets reused, and now the map has old notes? It's the same problem as letting people mark up their city maps. They end up thinking it's something they're supposed to do. You just watched a video of a guy trying to scratch off houses one by one.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 am
It's pretty clear to me. The reason is you could not do this in real life. I mean really. Try standing outside a bank for four hours. If you need to wait that long get a room in an inn. That's what it's for. No one would ever arrive at the shop they wanted to shop at at midnight and wait til 9am for it to open. Well I did once, But I was there to buy an Xbox.

There is a disconnect between what the goal of Daggerfall was and what modern games are. Games today are focused on eliminating anything that might not be a useful game element. Things like money have weight in Daggerfall because they would in real life having sacks of gold is a real inconvenience so banks exist. In later games there are no banks and you can carry all the gold you like with no penalty.
Last edited by jayhova on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm A line connecting the two on mouseover is sufficient. But there's little interest in improving the maps.
There's too few people that know how to modify that kind of code (personally I don't). I think this is the limiting factor.
BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm What happens when people don't delete their notes, the dungeon gets reused, and now the map has old notes?
Interesting question, I didn't think of that. I'm only thinking of marks/notes as temporary things, but different people may have different views.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm
pango wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 am It's for entirely clear to me either why there's this limitation. I got some ideas but nothing totally convincing.
It's pretty clear to me. The reason is you could not do this in real life. I mean really. Try standing outside a bank for four hours. If you need to wait that long get a room in an inn. That's what it's for. No one would ever arrive at the shop they wanted to shop at at midnight and wait til 9am for it to open. Well I did once, But I was there to buy an Xbox.
Problem is, you can just loiter again for another 3 hours immediately after the first 3 hours. So even if the Daggerfall creators' intention was as you say, they still didn't put in the most basic restriction to prevent players from loitering indefinitely. The only thing the artificial 3-hour limit does is make you have to click again to get the same result. It's just a time-waster.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The solution: if you try to loiter again, prevent it with a frustration message: "Your back hurts. You should go find an inn." :lol: I'm just kidding, of course.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 pm The solution: if you try to loiter again, prevent it with a frustration message: "Your back hurts. You should go find an inn." :lol: I'm just kidding, of course.
Or they can do what Daggerfall does best - immediately spawn 8,000 guards out of nowhere on top of the player's head yelling "HALT!" Now that's some high-quality immersion!