[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm Okay will try it soon. Do I just put these into streaming assets/textures?
Hi, its streaming assets/textures/CifRci

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

KoW, unfortunately it didn't work the way I though it would. I'd forgotten about some of the img dimension stuff in DFU & Unity and it's quite complex to use a single image like this and also the core would need changing. I have developed an alternative solution however.. basically split each image into 2 separate images. The extra one is only used by my enhanced riding implementation.

Bit of a pain I know, but the only way I can get it to work sensibly. I've prototyped it by cutting the images you supplied into main 424x420 px and neck 424x84 px. The neck images are named MRED00I1.CFA_0_0.png etc. (note the 1 after the I) This could change if you want. Anyway, I did my cutting in MS paint so lost all the transparency but it works enough for testing the code. :) You may wish to finish the art before cutting instead of having two images to work on, but that may not be an issue with a decent paint program - I have no idea.

So, will this work for you? Also, does the cart horse neck need to be different images from the horse? I'll assume no unless you say otherwise.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 pm KoW, unfortunately it didn't work the way I though it would. I'd forgotten about some of the img dimension stuff in DFU & Unity and it's quite complex to use a single image like this and also the core would need changing. I have developed an alternative solution however.. basically split each image into 2 separate images. The extra one is only used by my enhanced riding implementation.

Bit of a pain I know, but the only way I can get it to work sensibly. I've prototyped it by cutting the images you supplied into main 424x420 px and neck 424x84 px. The neck images are named MRED00I1.CFA_0_0.png etc. (note the 1 after the I) This could change if you want. Anyway, I did my cutting in MS paint so lost all the transparency but it works enough for testing the code. :) You may wish to finish the art before cutting instead of having two images to work on, but that may not be an issue with a decent paint program - I have no idea.

So, will this work for you? Also, does the cart horse neck need to be different images from the horse? I'll assume no unless you say otherwise.
Well, Im not sure what I should do :lol:

If I understand it right, I should finish the art and you will than process it? If you have problems splitting the image without loss of transparency I can do the splitting as well.

I dont think the neck will be the same for both card and horse honestly.

So I guess I will send you both finished? Or - if the transparency is the problem - before I send it to you you tell me where I should split the images

Yagiza

Interactive Stealth skill

Post by Yagiza »

Ok, now I have spare time to describe my ideas more detailed.

First one is Interactive Stealth skill.
In classic Daggerfall Stealth skill used passively: when you walk near an enemy, your Stealth skill сhecked periodically to decide, if enemy noticed you without seeing you. I believe, in DFU we have the same.

I suggest to make using of Stealth skill actively, by switching Steal mode:
When Steal mode is on, you always try to move silently, so always use your Stealth skill. That means, that you moves slower (I think, 3 times is all right, but it's a matter of discussion), no footstep sound played, and when you walk by an enemy, your Stealth skill is checked. Because your Stealth skill is always used, you always gain Stealth experience, while walking in this mode, no matter if there any enemies around (just as for Running skill, when you're running).
Whenever Steal mode is off, you walk at you normal speed, footstep sound played, and when you walk by an enemy, your Stealth skill is not checked, so chances that enemy notice you is always the same (as if your Stealth skill is 0, or even lower).
As a compensation, we may increase normal walking speed of a player or decrease chances of enemy notice you when Stealth skill used (or both), compared to the classic Daggerfall.
When you run with Steal mode on, you try to run silently. So, both Running and Stealth skill is used. No footstep sound played. Speed modification from Running skill applied to your stealthy movement speed, instead of your basic movement speed, so if you stelthy movement is 3 times slower, than your normal walk, your stealthy running is 3 times slower, than your normal run. Stalth skill is checked normally, but its value decreased (I think, 2 times is all right, but it's a matter of discussion), so if you run in Steal mode past an enemy, which do not see you, and your Stealth skill is 60, the chances that it notice you is as if it is 30.

Yagiza

Interactive Etiquette and language skills

Post by Yagiza »

The second idea is making usage of Etiquette and language skills interactive.

In classic Daggerfall Etiquette and language skills are used passively: when you get near an enemy of humanoid class or an intelligent animal, which have language, Etiquette or an appropriate language skill is checked automatically with modifiers (like if you have weapon in your hand ready) applied. In DFU we have the same, but with a message, which notifies player about successful skill use.

I suggest making using those skills used interactively by clicking on enemy mobs. The idea is:
Once enemy notice PC, it faces him and thinks for a few seconds, diciding if it intends to attack the PC. During this time, if player wants to convince the enemy not to attack them, he just clicks enemy mob in dialogue mode. When he does that, his Etiquette or an appropriate language skill is used. It is checked with appropriate modifiers applied, and if succeeded, player notified with a message and the foe is pacified. If the check failed, the enemy starts attacking PC immediately, without waiting anymore.
If the enemy already attacks PC, the player still may try to pacify the enemy by clicking it, but with lower chances, than in the case above. Also, each unsuccessfull attempt to pacify the enemy decreases chances on success, so after 2 or 3 attempts, chances drop to 0.
Of course, clicking the animals without intelligence (no appropriate language skill exist), nothing happens.
I think, it's a good idea to make Etiquette skill also usable (with appropriate modifiers) against intelligent undead creatures (vampires, liches, ghosts and maybe wraiths) and lycanptopes.
Also, it's a good idea to add sound when using those skills: an appropriate animal sound for language skills and that howling sound, which played when you click a guardian knight NPC by Castle Daggerfall entrance to Etiquette skill.
Last edited by Yagiza on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:42 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 pm KoW, unfortunately it didn't work the way I though it would. I'd forgotten about some of the img dimension stuff in DFU & Unity and it's quite complex to use a single image like this and also the core would need changing. I have developed an alternative solution however.. basically split each image into 2 separate images. The extra one is only used by my enhanced riding implementation.

Well, Im not sure what I should do :lol:

If I understand it right, I should finish the art and you will than process it? If you have problems splitting the image without loss of transparency I can do the splitting as well.

I dont think the neck will be the same for both card and horse honestly.

So I guess I will send you both finished? Or - if the transparency is the problem - before I send it to you you tell me where I should split the images
You need to produce two files for each frame named as described above. I'm changing to code to use the neck images, that's all.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

:D mkay 424x420 px and neck 424x84 px, busy today, tomorrow I send it

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Great, no rush though, I have what I need to develop and test the changes.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 am Great, no rush though, I have what I need to develop and test the changes.
Ok its done
Card separated.rar
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Horse separated.rar
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Pls note that the Cart is wider than the horse, if it changes anything. The neck height is created the same for both cart and horse and that is 84px
I hope it will work, good luck ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks for doing that, it all works fine now. There was one mistake with the last cart image which you named MRED01I2.CFA_0-2.png, the first 2 should be a 1.

The only suggestion I have is maybe have the strap on the right extend down also so it's not just flapping about. I assume it's supposed to be part of the reins or something, but I don't ride horses so I really am guessing. Anyway if you include all these images in the next DREAM release, then once new releases of DFU and R&R are out then the neck images will automatically get used. Until then, or for players who don't use enhanced riding, the extra images will simply be ignored.