Painting missing i castle Wayrest - Main quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
chico76

Painting missing i castle Wayrest - Main quest

Post by chico76 »

I am playing on Arch linux, using the game files from the gamefiles from daggerfallgamefiles.zip
been working ok.
However while doing the painting quest for the queen of sentinel, retrieving the painting, the painting is missing.
I crawled castle Wayrest and arrived at the painting room, killed all the guards but still no painting.

I did take my time to get to wayrest, was doing stuff in daggerfall and other random quests, since the painting quest is supposed to have no time limit.

I have made a zip file with the latest save if a devel wants to examine it, just not sure where to upload it.
I am using a dfUnitybuild I downloaded a few weaks ago (why isn't it an easy way to check the build version like for instance ./daggerfallunity.x86_64 -v ?)
thanks on beforehand

Interkarma

Re: Painting missing i castle Wayrest - Main quest

Post by Interkarma »

You can attach your zipped save here using the attachments feature when posting.

Your version number is very easy to find, it's displayed in the top-right corner every time the game is paused.

Could you also let me know what your mod loadout and order is, please. You can just attach a screenshot of your mod window if that's easiest.

chico76

Post by chico76 »

No mods just vanilla daggerfall.
Found the upload, savefile added.
DfUnity version: 0.10.3

Thanks for looking into it.
When I didn't find the painting in the correct spot I did a tele2questitem..
I'll see if I can find the ID for the painting so I can continue this character.

I did take a long time to get to wayrest after I recieved the quest from the queen.
Visited the king of worms after the zombie letter, went to daggerfall and did some quests.
Could it be that I reaced some time limit?
This quest should be no time limit that I am aware of..
Thanks again
Attachments
save1.zip
(314.93 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

chico76

Post by chico76 »

using the getallquestitems command does bring the painting to my inventory, but all the rewards and letters as well.
but this means that the quest is activated at least.

chico76

Post by chico76 »

I fixed the problem, at least for me.
I examined the save data to figure out the mechanism behind it.
I manually copied the relevant Item data for the painting from the questData.txt file and added it to the items[] object in the SaveData,txt file.
Hope that it doesn't break the game, the best would be to actually set the item at its correct place..
well if I did manage to fix it I close this one.

-----Update-----
Did try it out at once, managed to finish the quest with no problems..
Hope this can help anyone with similar problems

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the update. I've had a similar report on reddit recently as well. I'm yet to evaluate save to see if symptoms are the same. Root cause is currently unknown.

Every little bit helps though. Thanks for the save!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Can confirm you have the same issue as the reddit user who posted about this earlier. Both saves have the same symptoms - everything appears to have progressed normally, but the painting isn't assigned to the marker in quest data.

I've just tried everything I could to break S0000017 (Wayrest Painting). From creative uses of teleport, entering and exiting dungeons, doing some things in different orders, smaller dungeons, mods... I just haven't been able to break it yet. Hopefully the cause will become known soon, and it will probably be an easy fix.

chico76

Post by chico76 »

what can I do to help?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nothing specifically, just letting you know I'm trying to find the root cause and for now the quest stubbornly insists on working every time for me. We'll work it out eventually, sometimes it just takes the right clue. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I believe that I've worked out the issue with a high degree of confidence, and have submitted a fix now.

Thanks again for your save!