Attack camera

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
cristhofer.darrian

Attack camera

Post by cristhofer.darrian »

Hello,

I can't find a setting that'll turn the camera to vanilla dagerfall one. Whenever I try to swing a weapon, the camera follows the mouse movement (unlike vanilla DF where when you hold the attack key, the camera freezes). This makes it absolutely impossible to fight anything as I'll straight start looking above, below, left or right.

A secondary question is, how can I bring up the Unity overlay with the settings in-game, without restarting the whole game?

Thanks in advance, apologies if it was answered before, g-search and manual yielded nothing.

Regards,
CD

pango

Re: Attack camera

Post by pango »

cristhofer.darrian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm Hello,
Welcome to the forums!
cristhofer.darrian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm I can't find a setting that'll turn the camera to vanilla dagerfall one. Whenever I try to swing a weapon, the camera follows the mouse movement (unlike vanilla DF where when you hold the attack key, the camera freezes). This makes it absolutely impossible to fight anything as I'll straight start looking above, below, left or right.
Did you enable "click to attack" in the main screen? If so, disable it to get classic attack.
If that's not the problem, I don't know, the camera is stable for me using classic attack. Just make sure you press the button before swiping, and you should be good to go...
cristhofer.darrian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm A secondary question is, how can I bring up the Unity overlay with the settings in-game, without restarting the whole game?
Sadly that screen is currently only available before starting the game. Maybe later...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

cristhofer.darrian

Wow, thank you for the very fast reply.
pango wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pmDid you enable "click to attack"
Damn, haha. You're right. It appears that turning it off helps. Thank you.

I now am, however, stuck with two more issues.
First, is there a setting to change the Unity centered crosshair style into the Daggerfall vanilla camera, where I can look around while holding a button? I can't find it in anywhere.

Second, I can't find proper values for the camera movement. It either is very slow, or jumps right to edge. Gets on my nerves to keep turning the game off and on, so I'd like to ask if you have any preference that you're using, preferably one that's not too fast but not too smooth, instant rather.

Regards.

pango

Post by pango »

cristhofer.darrian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:04 pm First, is there a setting to change the Unity centered crosshair style into the Daggerfall vanilla camera, where I can look around while holding a button? I can't find it in anywhere.
The old HUD is on the roadmap, I'm not sure if cursor view will have to be implemented at the same time. It's not exactly the most requested feature.
cristhofer.darrian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:04 pm Second, I can't find proper values for the camera movement. It either is very slow, or jumps right to edge. Gets on my nerves to keep turning the game off and on, so I'd like to ask if you have any preference that you're using, preferably one that's not too fast but not too smooth, instant rather.
I don't know if there's a one-fit-them-all solution; I have a rather high DPI mouse and I try to keep acceleration low. So when it comes to Daggerfall Unity settings, the main thing I do is disable mouse smoothing, that adds an unsettling delay to inputs. I guess I also increased sensitivity a bit to match how fast I wanted to turn, but that's about it:
Mouse Smoothing off

Mouse sensitivity 2.0
Weapon Sensitivity 1.0
Movement Acceleration 10.0
WeaponAttackThreshold 0.01
By the way I just noticed several console commands to turn mouse smoothing on/off and change mouse sensitivity on the fly:
tmsmooth
set_msmooth
set_mspeed
I don't know if the settings changed that way are persisted, but for experimenting that saves you the need to exit the game each time...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Wow, someone actually complaining about mouselook controls. Guess there's a first time for everything.

The reason you're looking up while swinging is that youre trying to control your swing type with clicktoattack. You can't do that in that mode, your swing type is random. And you couldn't really do it reliably the old way either. So pick your poison.

cristhofer.darrian

pango wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 pmI just noticed several console commands to turn mouse smoothing on/off and change mouse sensitivity on the fly:
Holy hell, that's perfect. Thanks so much for your help Pango. Provided exactly what I needed.

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:30 amWow, someone actually complaining about mouselook controls. Guess there's a first time for everything.
I am not complaining, just asking a question since I'm used to vanilla DF and can't get used to DFU.
The rest of your post has already been posted, but thank you for the bump and happy to raise your post count.

Moderators/competents can lock and archive the thread, I consider the matter solved.
Best regards.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

At the topic creator's request :)