Numerous Thieves Guild Bugs!

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Falken

Numerous Thieves Guild Bugs!

Post by Falken »

"You will know..."

The heck I will. When you join the Thieves Guild, the thief who recruits you tells you that you will know of any Guilds in a city upon entering. In vanilla Daggerfall, this has the effect of marking the Guilds on your map. In Unity this does not happen, making them downright impossible to find unless you know already where they are. To make matters worse, even looking at it with info mode only says "residence" and going inside does not result in it being properly marked!

I have not yet tested the Dark Brotherhood, but I'm willing to bet this bug applies there as well.

The spymaster doesn't know jack.

Once you achieve a certain rank in the Guild (robber I think) you get access to the spymaster. The payoff of this guy is that his rumors are always true, so if you ask him about something he'll give you the best information about it. Except in Unity he seems to be broken, and even with a rep of 100, all he does is threaten you and refuse to answer questions.

Again, I've not yet had a chance to test this with the Dark Brotherhood, but I'm betting the "Dark Plotters" have the same issue.

Crime and punishment seems broken.

One of my jobs went sour, and I heard the dreaded word "Halt!". But no matter, I used recall and zoomed back to the original city and finished the quest anyway. Then I discovered that even though I had not been caught, the guards in that town were also after me! This isn't supposed to happen, but, I escaped again without getting caught and traveled several provinces away, thinking I'd just lay low for awhile and my criminal record was clean there. Or was it? The guards of that town were also after me! So I surrendered, paid the six gold or whatever, but became "undependable" in both provinces. Whatever I thought, the console says its only a -2 in Wayrest and Tulune. 30 days and that'll be cleared, 60 tops.

I traveled all around Iliac Bay, burning days and checking the console... my criminal record has never corrected itself! Yeah, I can just reset an earlier save, but... that's a lame way to solve the problem!

Certain quests never come up.

I can't be 100% certain on this one, maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I've sunk a lot of hours of playing time into the Thieves Guild and certain quests just haven't come up. Quite a few in fact. I noticed this with the temple quests as well. It seemed like the same two or three were being presented over and over, but the Thieves Guild actually has some really interesting ones and they are kind of the whole point of membership.

Looking over the Daggerfall wiki, I'd say the majority have never come up. I get "A Hot Stone", "A Stolen Gem", and "The Noble's Jewelry". My reputation is high enough that the others should have appeared by now.

Unable to steal in dungeons?

Was this a deliberate design choice or is it a bug? In vanilla I can pickpocket humanoids in dungeons, but as far as I can tell this does not work in Unity at all? That is really a bummer, because it is a good way to increase the skill and play the "good guy thief".

There also seems to be a hard limit of one theft attempt per NPC, which was not the case in vanilla, although I'm guessing this was a design choice?

Across the street from the local Thieves Guild...

I don't know if this a bug in Daggerfall, a bug Unity, or not a bug at all. It is pretty crazy though. In my mad quest to find unrevealed thieves guilds I noticed that across the street from a lot of Guilds (I'll use the one in Wayrest as my example) there is a regular residence... but when you go inside... there is a random NPC who will summon Daedra for you, no questions asked, no guild/temple membership or reputation required. What!?

Housing seems broken.

Not a thieves guild bug but I have to report it. In vanilla Daggerfall, you can usually purchase quite a few homes at the local bank. Unfortunately in Unity, it seems like only one house is for sale per city, and this is a real shame, because some of my favorite properties are apparently unavailable.

Also, there seems to be an NPC living in the "house for sale", which may or may not be a bug in Unity. I don't remember that being the case in vanilla.

It rains but never snows in Wayrest.

I know I can make it snow with the console but I'm just wondering why winter never seems to happen in Wayrest. It was always my chosen city as a kid, and it would always snow there with the terrain becoming frosty. Daggerfall province itself seems to ice over properly, but not all High Rock provinces do? Tell me I'm crazy but I've waited many game years on different characters and never seen it happen.

Jay_H

Re: Numerous Thieves Guild Bugs!

Post by Jay_H »

Falken wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm "You will know..."

The heck I will. When you join the Thieves Guild, the thief who recruits you tells you that you will know of any Guilds in a city upon entering. In vanilla Daggerfall, this has the effect of marking the Guilds on your map. In Unity this does not happen, making them downright impossible to find unless you know already where they are. To make matters worse, even looking at it with info mode only says "residence" and going inside does not result in it being properly marked!

I have not yet tested the Dark Brotherhood, but I'm willing to bet this bug applies there as well.
What version are you playing? This was fixed in 0.10.4.
Certain quests never come up.

I can't be 100% certain on this one, maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I've sunk a lot of hours of playing time into the Thieves Guild and certain quests just haven't come up. Quite a few in fact. I noticed this with the temple quests as well. It seemed like the same two or three were being presented over and over, but the Thieves Guild actually has some really interesting ones and they are kind of the whole point of membership.

Looking over the Daggerfall wiki, I'd say the majority have never come up. I get "A Hot Stone", "A Stolen Gem", and "The Noble's Jewelry". My reputation is high enough that the others should have appeared by now.
This is how the quest list looks like in 0.10.4:

Code: Select all

O0A0AL00, GeneralPopulace, P, 0, 0, Passed. Set guild member to spawn in remote random; not sure if classic.
O0B00Y00, GeneralPopulace, M, 0, 0, Apparently an exact copy of O0B10Y00.
O0B00Y01, GeneralPopulace, M, 0, 0, Passed
-O0B00Y11, GeneralPopulace, M, 0, 0, FAILED. Can't find any city containing its local house.
O0B00Y12, GeneralPopulace, M, 0, 0, Passed
O0B10Y00, GeneralPopulace, M, 1, 0, Passed.
O0B10Y03, GeneralPopulace, M, 1, 0, Passed.
O0B10Y05, GeneralPopulace, M, 1, 0, Passed. Changed house4 to house1.
O0B10Y06, GeneralPopulace, M, 1, 0, Passed.
O0B10Y07, GeneralPopulace, M, 1, 0, Passed.
O0B20Y02, GeneralPopulace, M, 2, 0, Passed.
O0B2XY04, GeneralPopulace, M, 2, X, Passed.
O0B2XY08, GeneralPopulace, M, 2, X, Passed.
O0B2XY09, GeneralPopulace, M, 2, X, Passed.
O0B2XY10, GeneralPopulace, M, 2, X, Passed.
The quest system has enabled every one except O0B00Y11 to play. For the ones from O0B10Y00 on you need rank 1 or 2, depending on the number in the fourth column. Quests with an X in the fifth column require "Player Nudity" to be enabled in the initial DFU menu.
Across the street from the local Thieves Guild...

I don't know if this a bug in Daggerfall, a bug Unity, or not a bug at all. It is pretty crazy though. In my mad quest to find unrevealed thieves guilds I noticed that across the street from a lot of Guilds (I'll use the one in Wayrest as my example) there is a regular residence... but when you go inside... there is a random NPC who will summon Daedra for you, no questions asked, no guild/temple membership or reputation required. What!?
That's a carry-over from Daggerfall.
Housing seems broken.

Not a thieves guild bug but I have to report it. In vanilla Daggerfall, you can usually purchase quite a few homes at the local bank. Unfortunately in Unity, it seems like only one house is for sale per city, and this is a real shame, because some of my favorite properties are apparently unavailable.
This topic has more information: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2463

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Which version do you have at the moment? There was an issue with both the dark brotherhood and thieves guild not being shown on the map but I have not had that problem since I upgraded to 0.10.4.

Interesting about the Spymaster as I am able to interface with him no problem I won't say he is the most useful but he has never threatened or refused to speak with me once I got the required reputation.

I agree that the system for crime and punishment doesn't seem to be working correctly as I have had guards chasing me a lot to for the petty crime of pick pocketing even after I traveled to different regions. Just for your information reputation is adjusted every 121 days then only by a point towards zero.

The quest rotation issue seems to have been corrected in 0.10.4 as I now get the full gambit of quests from the thieves guild.

I have pick pocketed in dungeons no problem but you are correct that it is still a one shot chance unless I go invisible, pick pocket, retreat, and rest. Then I can try again, it works the same for lock picking.

You could find that in classic Daggerfall, the NPC is a representative of witches covens who will give you quests and summon Daedra for a price based on your rank.

Yes housing is not fully implemented but it is a known issue being worked on.

I can't recall seeing snow in Wayrest but will keep an eye out as I usually only go there to complete certain quests.

Falken

Post by Falken »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:45 pm What version are you playing? This was fixed in 0.10.4.
I downloaded Unity in July. 0.10.4 seems to be an August release so perhaps this was recently corrected?

How do I check my version? I'm sure it is right in front of me and I'm just missing it...

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Pause the game and look at the top right corner. :)

Falken

Post by Falken »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:44 pm Pause the game and look at the top right corner. :)

Looks as if I'm a version behind. That is good that this is fixed already! But will I have to restart the game after I update to get the Guild halls marked?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Dagger ... ade_DFU.3F
How do I upgrade DFU?
Download the newest version at the Live Builds page. Unzip it into a brand new folder, never on top of your old version. Transfer any mods you used in your old version to your new version. You do not need to move your saves.
You need to install the new DFU to a new folder, and then start the game. Your saves will transfer over and the needed changes will happen.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ommamar wrote:I agree that the system for crime and punishment doesn't seem to be working correctly as I have had guards chasing me a lot to for the petty crime of pick pocketing even after I traveled to different regions. Just for your information reputation is adjusted every 121 days then only by a point towards zero.
I say this without knowing what classic does, but I agree that the "criminal conspiracy" thing should not happen until your legal rep falls below -20 or something. Personally, I dislike this mechanic wholly and think the game would play better if guards simply hassled and stared you down if you got close enough for them to recognize you. Still waiting for that mod that makes guards more human and less "halt halt halt die die die" about vagrancy and existing.

"I thought I recognized that face. Keep your nose clean or I'll be the one to break it, you hear?"
"There's a bet going about what your next crime will be. Don't let me down, runt."
"Plotting something, %pcn? Of course you are. I can't even blink with your kind running around."
"It must be a strange feeling for you, %pcn, being out of shackles."