0.10.4: Guilds lack quality message upon entering

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jay_H

0.10.4: Guilds lack quality message upon entering

Post by Jay_H »

I didn't post this in Bug Reports since I didn't know whether it's an intentional change.

In classic, Fighters and Mages Guilds have quality messages when you enter (Rusty relics, etc). Not sure about temples, knightly orders, and DB/TG.

In DFU they're omitted.

Interkarma

Re: 0.10.4: Guilds lack quality message upon entering

Post by Interkarma »

I can't remember if this was an intentional change or just an oversight. It's easy enough to add in any case. I'll move to bug reports for fix.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I had noticed this, and assumed it was intentional, as the quality messages don't make any sense in a guild (they would only logically apply in a shop). So, maybe not a bug, but a feature? :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I did some scant testing around for the Mechanics thread and wondered why guilds even have a quality indicator; I couldn't find what varied from location to location. My testing was not thorough, though.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Having thought about this for a while longer, I think it might have been intentional. It's just been so long, and it was such a minor difference, I can't remember for certain.

I'm happy to leave it as-is if you guys feel it doesn't make sense for guilds. The descriptions really do seem more appropriate for shops than clubhouses.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'll move it back into Help and Support. If anyone wants to contribute by doing some testing in classic, this is a great place to do so ;)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yes, I do agree it's better not to revert to the classic behavior here - I actually consider this a bug fix, not a bug. Cheers!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Guild quality affects selling & buying costs.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I think(?) we can all agree that pausing the game to display a message upon shop and guild entry was extremely annoying. There is an option in the ini to put quality messages in the feedback text, which solves the pause, but the way DFU renders text causes some brutal obstruction.

Here's FixedSysTTF at 15pt with a 4px distance dropshadow at 135', there's barely any obstruction at all and looks fine.
feedbacktext2.gif
feedbacktext2.gif (545.62 KiB) Viewed 1617 times