Modern games features port mod ideas

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
mikeprichard

Re: Modern games features port mod ideas

Post by mikeprichard »

Rand wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 am Mods is the wrong place for it. This isn't a mod, it's a revitalization. Arguably as important as the initial release.
I strongly agree with you, but I've already been clearly told that the UESP folks for whatever reason want to keep the DFU data in that section. I'm still not quite sure why, but it is what it is.

Rand

Post by Rand »

Rand wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 am I only found Daggerfall Unity after stumbling across a mention of it somewhere deep in Steam, I think, where there was an interview of some sort that (critically) included screenshots and an explanation.
It may have been Rock Paper Shotgun, though. Either way, purely accidentally.
Nope, I was gapping out. It was a Project Spotlight interview with Interkarma on Nexusmods. Arguably the best place for promoting this kind of thing, but I suspect a lot of people don't go there for the general-type news and especially interviews.

Rand

Post by Rand »

mikeprichard wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
Rand wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 am Mods is the wrong place for it. This isn't a mod, it's a revitalization. Arguably as important as the initial release.
I strongly agree with you, but I've already been clearly told that the UESP folks for whatever reason want to keep the DFU data in that section. I'm still not quite sure why, but it is what it is.
Harrumph. I will have words with them.

Seriously, I'm gonna explain how, just like I told you, that even as someone very interested in this project, I found it the way I did ON ANOTHER SITE, after poking around UESP for YEARS.

Maybe they'll listen/get it.

Of course, DaggerXL probably made them a little gun-shy, but this project is A) vibrant and B) very complete (arguably heading towards some version of complete soon).

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Rand, if you'd like a little more context (or involvement), I'd suggest reading the wiki thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514

Rand

Post by Rand »

Azteca wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm Rand, if you'd like a little more context (or involvement), I'd suggest reading the wiki thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514
Interesting reading, but not really my thing. I can't add much to what is some already great work being done. All I can do is maybe get the UESP people to think about letting DFU out of the "dungeon".

Look what you have to do to even get on the base page:

1) click Daggerfall (left pane)
2) click (or scroll down to) Files, Modding, and Tech Support (main pane)
3) click mods(main pane)
4) pick DFU out of a lineup of ancient stuff for classic, without any indication of the fact that DFU is modern and active.

Even then, someone might dismiss it, if they weren't aware of what the Unity Engine is and what it can do (maybe 50% of gamers, or more? Dunno).

I just never clicked on it, because I never went back to the mods page after I downloaded all the Daggerfall classic mods a decade or so ago. :oops:

Anyway, in my opinion (which is clearly not yet shared by the UESP guys) DFU is way more important than the other stuff it's in with. Where it should go for more visibility is a matter better left to those who like curating wikis.

Maybe it'll happen when interkarma finishes up with the beta and it goes into full release, but it can't hurt for people like me to bug the UESP guys pre-emptively so they're understanding how buried it is.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

If you want to talk buried, try finding the OpenMW page on the UESP without using Google.

While I get the enthusiasm people have for DFU, why do you act like the UESP owes DFU anything. I bet my two cents that the Nexus will do more for visibility than the UESP which is a repository for information (and a freaking good one at that). DFU might be more important to you, not necessarily for the UESP which deals with the original games.

And then there's talk of 'bugging' the UESP guys, that's some really mature thinking there. Intentions are good, I have no doubts there but the execution leaves a lot to be desired if 'bugging people' is all you can come up with. People get fed up really fast if you always sing the same song.

Since alpha released, the userbase already shot up and I have no doubt it will continue to do so as moddability is improved. Please, just give it some time.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Rand

Post by Rand »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm If you want to talk buried, try finding the OpenMW page on the UESP without using Google.
So true! :lol: And you have to Google openMW! Googling open morrowind does not give useful results, so (once again) you basically have to know what you're looking for before you go looking, which never worked out so good for me. ;)

But you could argue that OpenMW is at least in a more understandable category: "Alternative Game Engines". For DFU, even that would be an improvement!
BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm While I get the enthusiasm people have for DFU, why do you act like the UESP owes DFU anything. I bet my two cents that the Nexus will do more for visibility than the UESP which is a repository for information (and a freaking good one at that). DFU might be more important to you, not necessarily for the UESP which deals with the original games.
Also true. Nexus is how I found it, thanks only to an interview with interkarma that was featured. But as to UESP being a repository of information: yeah, it sure is a freaking good one, but if you can't find something you'd like to know about that's already on the wiki because it's buried, that aint so good.
BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm And then there's talk of 'bugging' the UESP guys, that's some really mature thinking there. Intentions are good, I have no doubts there but the execution leaves a lot to be desired if 'bugging people' is all you can come up with. People get fed up really fast if you always sing the same song.
Whoa, sore spot? Please don't take "bugging" literally. I agree with you re: eroding patience. All I meant was a few comments from interested people explaining how if, like me, they would like to have known about DFU but missed it due to its wiki location might change some minds. OpenMW could benefit from the same profile improvement just as much, and for the same reasons. Hopefully, the UESP guys are waiting for some level of "completeness" in the projects, which, if correct, is completely understandable.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Rand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:52 pm So true! :lol: And you have to Google openMW! Googling open morrowind does not give useful results, so (once again) you basically have to know what you're looking for before you go looking, which never worked out so good for me. ;)

But you could argue that OpenMW is at least in a more understandable category: "Alternative Game Engines". For DFU, even that would be an improvement!
They had to change to OpenMW to avoid legal issues so thank the Zenimax lawyers for that one :)
Rand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:52 pm Also true. Nexus is how I found it, thanks only to an interview with interkarma that was featured. But as to UESP being a repository of information: yeah, it sure is a freaking good one, but if you can't find something you'd like to know about that's already on the wiki because it's buried, that aint so good.
I don't consider it buried, you just want it to be more prominent. Maybe when it's finished it'll be mentioned on Daggerfall's main page, I don't know.
Rand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:52 pm Whoa, sore spot? Please don't take "bugging" literally. I agree with you re: eroding patience. All I meant was a few comments from interested people explaining how if, like me, they would like to have known about DFU but missed it due to its wiki location might change some minds. OpenMW could benefit from the same profile improvement just as much, and for the same reasons. Hopefully, the UESP guys are waiting for some level of "completeness" in the projects, which, if correct, is completely understandable.
No sore spots here. I just interpreted bugging in a negative way given the context. I don't know the fine details but I know it took quite some back-and-forth between some members in the community here and the people at UESP to even get a section there so I'd say give it some more time and see how it evolves.

You're free to do as you please ofcourse, I just thought I'd add my two cents to the conversation.
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Rand

Post by Rand »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm I don't know the fine details but I know it took quite some back-and-forth between some members in the community here and the people at UESP to even get a section there so I'd say give it some more time and see how it evolves.
Wow, really? That's pretty rigid to me. But given the failure rate of projects, I guess they're cautious about 'em.
BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm You're free to do as you please of course, I just thought I'd add my two cents to the conversation.
Yep. Fair point.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Rand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:39 pm Wow, really? That's pretty rigid to me. But given the failure rate of projects, I guess they're cautious about 'em.
They have a high standard when it comes to their content so if they let anyone on-board that isn't part of their own team, those people need to understand and adhere to that as well.

If you really want to put some work into it, just drop them a line asking if there's anything we can do as a community that might warrant a more visible spot on the wiki. If their answer is no, there's nothing you can do, so be it and otherwise, there'll be a goal to work towards.