How to build a mod?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Sandman

How to build a mod?

Post by Sandman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Hello to everyone!

I edited some script files from DFTFU assets : "BuildingNames.cs", "NameHelper.cs" and "NameGen.txt" - but I can't get that to work in the game. In Unity Editor all changes work perfect(I mean if to launch the game from Editor), but after a mod is built and enabled nothing changes in the game. In Mod Builder I have added 3 files mentioned above, and this files have original path in assets.
DFUnity ver.: 0.10.6.
DFTFU version: recent from GitHub.
Unity ver.: 2018.2.21f1.
So what am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help.

l3lessed

Re: How to build a mod?

Post by l3lessed » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm

I could be wrong, but I do not think mod builder is supposed to work with the base script files. Replacing the base script files with a mod built script file, I imagine, would not work. Instead, the "mod" should be built right into the engine and game itself, since it is coding directly into the base script files.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:58 am

The Lacus will know, let him know about this thread if he doesnt pop up here after some time ;)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 pm

I confirm that you can't replace C# source files; you can interact with the public API instead. Please read the modding documentation, if there is something you don't understand i'm happy to clarify. ;)
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm new in coding and that's why I can understand nothing from "Mod Features" page. And what " interact with the public API" means? :|

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Sandman wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm
I'm new in coding and that's why I can understand nothing from "Mod Features" page. And what " interact with the public API" means? :|
There are tutorials available. You can access them from the documentation page i directed you, but here is a direct link. Good luck. :)
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.