DF Unity Crashing Often (help)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Baptor

DF Unity Crashing Often (help)

Post by Baptor »

Hello,

Dowloaded DF Unity some time ago and have been playing it non-stop! The game has run smooth as silk and for 13 levels I haven't had any crashes at all until now. I went into a dungeon and was exploring when it crashed to desktop. I reloaded a save prior and finished the dungeon. I went to another dungeon and was exploring when it crashed to desktop again. The two crashes happened within an hour of each other.

I cannot understand why it would be crashing now but not at all for many, many hours of gameplay before it.

EDIT:
Since making the OP, I've uncovered the crash reports, which are included now, and I also found out I had a bunch of old mods that come with the Daggerfall Installer such as Eye of Argonia and DaggerFall XL. I also installed DF Unity directly into the Daggerfall folder.

I suspect (hope) this had something to do with the crashes, but some folks on Reddit say none of that should cause a crash, so I don't know.

Since then I've done a clean install and put Unity in its own folder. We will see if that works. Until then, please have a look at my crash reports to tell me what you think. Thanks!
Attachments
Crashes - Copy.7z
(74.26 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Last edited by Baptor on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Game crashing often after many hours (lvl 13) of gameplay with no crashes

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

If you can, please attached a zipped copy of your save (ideally a zipped copy of your output log after a crash as well) and I'm sure we'll be able to sort it out. If you're using any mods, could you list them out also? Info below on locating saves and logs.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

I'm over 750 saves myself, I don't think that would cause any issues. Saves are only enumerated when listed in the save/load UI.

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums Baptor!

The first thing to check would be the player log right after the crash happens (see here how to find it).

Next thing would be to share some game save, to see if it can be reproduced. By the way you didn't say anything about your platform (statistically probably some version of Windows 64bit, but who knows), your hardware, the version of Daggerfall Unity you're using (0.10.7?) or the mods you installed, if any.

(Ninja'd by Interkarma :D )
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

Hello,

I've included the most recent save as an attachment. This particular crash happened shortly after this, when I fought two Frost Daedra.

(I should also mention that the crashes happened in two dungeons with fire and frost daedra. This was the first time I'd encountered those monsters. It's also the first time I've ever tried to carry my gold in letters of credit. Not sure if that's relevant.)

I followed the link you included to the manual to locate the Player Log, but I could not find the folder or files below anywhere in my Daggerfall or Daggerfall Unity folders.
Windows
Your output_log.txt file will be in your PersistentDataPath from live builds #124 and later.
I'm running Windows 10, 64 Bit. I'm running Daggerfall Unity Build 0.10.7. I am not running any other mods.

Here's my DxDiag:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: 500-205t
BIOS: 80.12 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6082MB RAM
Page File: 3368MB used, 8858MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown

Graphics:

Card name: AMD Radeon R5 235
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6778)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 3826 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
Shared Memory: 2816 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Attachments
SAVE543.7z
(164.73 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

pango

Post by pango »

After playing for a few minutes with your save your character reached "Master of Longblade" status, did you get that message?
master eldros.jpg
master eldros.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 3254 times

How did you install Daggerfall classic?
-- Charles Goodhart

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

1. Yes, I've gone back and played it since posting here and did not have another crash. I got the title soon after, like you said. So far, i've done two dungeons without a crash, or about 2-3 hours of gameplay. Still paranoid though - since it had never happened before.

2. I installed it using "Daggerfallsetup" found here: https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?t ... llSetup_EN

pango

Post by pango »

I didn't reproduce the issue, it could be plenty of things, including hardware issues (overheating?) even if the game without mods is not particularly demanding...
The logs would have been the most helpful.
-- Charles Goodhart

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

I could get you the logs if I knew where they were located. The manual didn't really provide useful directions since it only mentions one folder that as far as I can tell doesn't exist.

Can you provide a flowchart to locating the file? Is it in local? Is it in the daggerfall directory? I will go fetch it if you can provide a little help. Thanks!

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

Hey thanks!

OK so it's called an "output log" for Windows according to your guide. Found it!

I actually just had another crash while trying to transport the Oracle to the residence for the Oracle Mage Guild Quest. I had asked a townsperson where the residence was. He said he marked it on my map, and when i tried to find it on the map, the game crashed to desktop.

I've attached the save I made just before the crash and the Output Log in a single ZIP file on this post.

If you could please take a look and see if you can find anything, I would be most appreciative. :)

EDIT: I have finally found the crash folder, and have also attached all three crashes in a ZIP called crashes!
Attachments
Crashes.7z
(60.88 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
SAVE602 and Output Log.7z
(230.91 KiB) Downloaded 60 times