MOD order confusion

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jimfcarroll

MOD order confusion

Post by jimfcarroll »

A point of confusion when configuring mods.

The Villager Immersion mod has this note:
If you install VIO V4 alongside KOW-DREAM, make sure you make it higher priority than DREAM - COMMONERS
The FAQ has this note:
In your mod order, put Village Immersion Overhaul after DREAM.
So, moving mods lower on the mod list makes them higher priority. It took me until just now to realize that. For me, that's counter intuitive and it's not documented anywhere directly that I saw. I just inferred it from the above.

EDIT: I know there's a "Load Priority: #" shown on the mod screen but when I first looked at this, believe it or not, I wasn't sure if whether a mod took precedence over other mods with a higher number or lower number. In other words, if I set my mod to "load priority 0" (which moves it higher on this list), did this MOD take precedence over all the others, or vs. vrs.

TheLacus

Re: MOD order confusion

Post by TheLacus »

The content is (virtually) loaded from top to bottom, overwriting everything that was written before.

I believe this is the less confusing behavior for most people because this is how it works for all Elder Scrolls games, including Skyrim.

I personally wouldn't use the word "priority", I think "load order" is sufficient to convey the information without ambiguity.

EDIT. I think I should add that load order was initially used (and is still used) to define the order in which mod scripts are executed. Now is also used for the order in which mod assets are "loaded".

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jimfcarroll wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 am EDIT: I know there's a "Load Priority: #" shown on the mod screen but when I first looked at this, believe it or not, I wasn't sure if whether a mod took precedence over other mods with a higher number or lower number. In other words, if I set my mod to "load priority 0" (which moves it higher on this list), did this MOD take precedence over all the others, or vs. vrs.
I think the way to look at it is that the mods get loaded from 0, then 1 then 2 etc. And they write over eachother. So if mod 1 and 2 change them same thing, mod 2 will over-write mod 1?

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 am I personally wouldn't use the word "priority", I think "load order" is sufficient to convey the information without ambiguity.
This would have made it clear for me.

Just a suggestion.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 am
jimfcarroll wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 am EDIT: I know there's a "Load Priority: #" shown on the mod screen but when I first looked at this, believe it or not, I wasn't sure if whether a mod took precedence over other mods with a higher number or lower number. In other words, if I set my mod to "load priority 0" (which moves it higher on this list), did this MOD take precedence over all the others, or vs. vrs.
I think the way to look at it is that the mods get loaded from 0, then 1 then 2 etc. And they write over eachother. So if mod 1 and 2 change them same thing, mod 2 will over-write mod 1?
I wouldn't use the term overwrite but the effect from mod 2 will be what you see as it will be the last one executed.

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

One more thing I just noticed. If you click on a MOD you can use the buttons "Lower" and "Increase," which do exactly the opposite in all senses except the position on the list. As you "Increase" the MOD position you lower its "Priority" and so, it's load order.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It is indeed load order. Mods are loaded from top to bottom like other ES games.

I'd be happy for load order buttons to be changed to "up" and "down", or just arrow up/down icons, if that helps make it clearer for most?

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Personally I think that makes more sense. But since it's subjective I'd take other people's views into account.