[Mod] Minimap WIP

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [Mod] Minimap WIP

Post by l3lessed »

I'll at some point, go at creating an automap overlay for the minimap. You can grab the automap windows pretty easily. They just need pushed to the front of the UI, resized properly, and then continually updated.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:21 am Ran it on a base dfu build and it works. Camera needs tweaking, hud positioning needs changed some, and some hot keys added for zoom and enable/disable. Then on to shaping it and adding some type of basic border.

Also, found how to get it to work indoors too. How do you easily detect when a player is indoors versus outdoors?

Might create an immersive version too.

Concerning the indoors/outdoors part, I think when the Exterior and Interior game object is active, you are inside/outside.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm Banshee, no offense, but that isn't really helpful. As I said, that video was the first pass. I literally got it in and made the video without any further changes. As I stated, the camera and everything needed fixed. It was a proof of concept video.

A camera minimap is very different then DF's built in GUI overlay map.

DFU overhead map as a overlay minimap would require allot to get going. First, you need to setup the UI object using the built in daggerfall UI system. You would then have to pull the overlay map from the daggerfall UI system(if it is even acessible), push it to the UI minimap overlay object, and setup a hooked update cycle with both the minimap UI object and the Daggerfall UI map. I'm unsure if it is even possible currently. I would have to look at the daggerfall map system and code to see.

Now, here is the newest version.

I hear you. Having the color indication for building types, like using the original overlay map, would make it far more useful. But, that is a whole differing beast, I may or may not look at. As of now, you have this minimap you can customize view and size wise to your hearts desires.

The last thing I need to do is put in a switch for being indoors that changes the view settings to work properly indoors.
You sir, are amazing! Would've expect nothing less from you :)
Is it possible to set the camera background for indoors to black? The blue is a bit irritating. Besides of that, looks amazing!
I am sure you or someone else will add the Overlay Map sooner or later an then this thing is a finished piece of beautiful moddery :D
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome progress.

If the need arises I can create some border for it. Not sure if I can also add some semi-transparent overlay over the actual map, like a hint of a glass shine or darkness towards the borders, to give it more of a 3d appearance. Maybe a dot in the center to suggest the player position.

My idea would be something like this
457a13f50a0e1a43d2e5c8a9.png
457a13f50a0e1a43d2e5c8a9.png (83.25 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Check it. I was able to convert the mask layer to black without any issue. I also looked up rotation and eulerangle info and was able to get the minimap to rotate with player view pretty easily.

I found the setting to check for interior. It is a basic gamemanager.instance property.

I'll add some basic gui unity buttons for controls. I'll add angle, zoom, and map size.

Now we need some overlay to identify stuff for the player, and we would have a real great minimap.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Is there anyway to push a window while not having the mouse controls take over?

Apparently pushing the automap through my minimap update seems to automatically overlay the objects on to it inside. But, because it is continually pushing the window, I'm stuck in mouse controls. If I could push the window, but keep first person controls active, I think this may work overlaying the automap markers inside with the minimap.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Making headway on gui ideas. I need a few answers though. How do you easily find all npcs around the player? I need to assign a sphere mesh to them and drop it into the automap layer. This will create dots for npcs and player on map.

Also, is there a way to scan a cities buildings? Same thing, I need to find the buildings in town by category, so I can assign a simple colored sphere mesh to them and hide them into the automap/minimap overlay.

Using the built in automap is a no go. Like I thought, it causes to many issues trying to update it continually, the biggest being it interferes with first person camera and sends you flying into space. But now I know how to use the automap layer to hide meshes, I only need an easy way to find npcs and buildings to assign a hidden mesh object (like a colored sphere to them).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great progress once again.

Maybe a suggestion - it might help the clarity of the map and possibly some performance - disable shadows on the map if thats possible.

Dots for NPCs sound great, also a center dot for player seems important.

Than the standard automap option - rotate on/off.. I like static map with rotating arrow for a player view direction. But thats ofc sound of the future, just throwing in some ideas. Thanks for your work!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the input. Shadows have been removed using a vertex lit shader for the camera; this can be tied to a toggle setting too. Also, setting up and displaying meshes for gui indicators will be easy once I figure out how to find the billboards, npcs, and doors. I was able to easily grab the prefabbed arrow mesh used in the automap and tie it to the player on the minimap with proper rotation.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:29 am Making headway on gui ideas. I need a few answers though. How do you easily find all npcs around the player? I need to assign a sphere mesh to them and drop it into the automap layer. This will create dots for npcs and player on map.

Also, is there a way to scan a cities buildings? Same thing, I need to find the buildings in town by category, so I can assign a simple colored sphere mesh to them and hide them into the automap/minimap overlay.

Using the built in automap is a no go. Like I thought, it causes to many issues trying to update it continually, the biggest being it interferes with first person camera and sends you flying into space. But now I know how to use the automap layer to hide meshes, I only need an easy way to find npcs and buildings to assign a hidden mesh object (like a colored sphere to them).
Looks great man! Now also with the black background in interior areas.
Concerning your question. Aren't all enemies placed inside the StreamingTarget and their names always contain "enemy" in it? Maybe you can use this to your advantage here, like search the specific child that carries the a gameObject with "enemy" in its name.

About the automap: Does it use a render texture object? In that case maybe you can apply that render texture to a GUI image object and have it masked and recentered so it only shows the area around the player inside the circle gui.
l3lessed wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:18 pm Thanks for the input. Shadows have been removed using a vertex lit shader for the camera; this can be tied to a toggle setting too. Also, setting up and displaying meshes for gui indicators will be easy once I figure out how to find the billboards, npcs, and doors. I was able to easily grab the prefabbed arrow mesh used in the automap and tie it to the player on the minimap with proper rotation.
The billboards should be in StreamingTarget as children of the respective MapPixel object. They are stored inside a billboardBatch gameObject.
In Julianos we Trust.