[Mod] Minimap WIP

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Jeoshua

Re: [Mod] Minimap WIP

Post by Jeoshua »

Here's an idea: In town, what you have is awesome. Outside of town in the wilderness, you could "pull back" the view to show a 10 km radius, showing just dots on a shaded map which gives heightmap and locations. It would be amazing for traveling manually between towns and dungeons.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jeoshua wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 pm Here's an idea: In town, what you have is awesome. Outside of town in the wilderness, you could "pull back" the view to show a 10 km radius, showing just dots on a shaded map which gives heightmap and locations. It would be amazing for traveling manually between towns and dungeons.
Not sure if it's technically possible, but this would be fantastic.

gunsling3r

Post by gunsling3r »

Jeoshua wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 pm Here's an idea: In town, what you have is awesome. Outside of town in the wilderness, you could "pull back" the view to show a 10 km radius, showing just dots on a shaded map which gives heightmap and locations. It would be amazing for traveling manually between towns and dungeons.
Hmm let me give that a try. My mod so far is complete just struggling to get it exported as dfmod file.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Daggerfall cities are so generic and chockfull of buildings that terrain barely helps you navigate. So while it's fun to look at, I don't think this style of minimap is going to help town navigation the way it would in a much smaller, hand-crafted world. Though if you zoomed it out a bit more, it might be pretty good for wilderness.

Having to always access the fullscreen map interrupts gameplay a lot, so I still think a cornered 1x version of the town map would best reduce that. You'd only have to fullscreen the map if your memory failed and you needed a label. It also makes the compass superfluous inside town, so there's no need to show the compass (and obstruct the hands) when the minimap is showing. You could also make active quest buildings yellow.

The size of the map would differ by city. But here's the largest possible map at 1080p:
minimap3.png
minimap3.png (863.6 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
edit: transparency was incorrectly applied
Last edited by BansheeXYZ on Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm minimap3.png
IMHO, exactly this would be ideal for city/town/village navigation in all cases, which as discussed earlier, is really the only situation where the minimap would be relevant (there's essentially nothing to map in the wilderness, and dungeons have their own automap system). Would love to see this!

Thinking more about this, this would even be great to see in core DFU, along the lines of Nystul's many other mapping improvements, but I'd understand if this would be deemed mod territory by the devs.

gunsling3r

Post by gunsling3r »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm Daggerfall cities are so generic and chockfull of buildings that terrain barely helps you navigate. So while it's fun to look at, I don't think this style of minimap is going to help town navigation the way it would in a much smaller, hand-crafted world. Though if you zoomed it out a bit more, it might be pretty good for wilderness.

Having to always access the fullscreen map interrupts gameplay a lot, so I still think a cornered 1x version of the town map would best reduce that. You'd only have to fullscreen the map if your memory failed and you needed a label. It also makes the compass superfluous inside town, so there's no need to show the compass (and obstruct the hands) when the minimap is showing. You could also make active quest buildings yellow.

The size of the map would differ by city. But here's the largest possible map at 1080p:
minimap3.png

edit: transparency was incorrectly applied
My plan is to produce both wilderness and city map within minimap, the map could have an input key to zoom in/out or UI buttons in minimap to do the same. So far I can only hint these, as I am not confident of my skills to complete features I propose beforehand. I will come up with feature as I go along, at the moment due to technical issues the mod is taking time.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Take your time, gunsling3r - this is already shaping up to be a fantastic mod. Thanks for your work.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I would want a dungeon version of this
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

james2k

Post by james2k »

jayhova wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:11 am I would want a dungeon version of this
This. Not having to open my map constantly would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Rebelrouzer

Post by Rebelrouzer »

When can we expect a working version of this mod?