Custom class spells not set by skills.

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Rand

Custom class spells not set by skills.

Post by Rand » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 pm

One of the things that bugs me most about Daggerfall (either version) is that custom classes get the shaft with spells.

Really, it's almost a bug, and definitely a quality of life improvement (that should be built into the base game) is that spells should be given to characters based on their selected skills.

When I select Restoration repeatedly, as both a major skill and as the one I studied the most, I should damned well get a healing spell at startup! :x

Instead, the three it gives me are shock (didn't choose destruction), chameleon (cantrip: useless), and slowfall.

There should be one useful spell for each magic skill given for each primary, major and minor magic skill chosen at startup. If you want to differentiate between the spells' quality depending on primary, major and minor, there is an argument to be made both ways.

Ralzar

Re: Custom class spells not set by skills.

Post by Ralzar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Or:

Simply have a character creation question at the end that lets you select 1 low-cost Spell for every.. 20(?) points in Intelligence?

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm

I agree. You can customize every bit of a class, why not let choose which starting low cost spells to have?

If your class have for example Restoration as a primary or major skill, and we are then assuming you spent years practicing that kind of magic, how is possible that you don't even really know a single spell of that school? :roll:
That's really nonsense :lol:

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 am

My preference would be to have a spell at starting the game for every magic school you have more than 15 points in. Two if it somehow starts at 30.

pango

Post by pango » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:33 am

+1

Early game with caster classes is hard enough, it would make sense you start with spells you can make some use of!
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 am

Jeoshua wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 am
My preference would be to have a spell at starting the game for every magic school you have more than 15 points in. Two if it somehow starts at 30.
Agreed. Sounds like an easy way to do it.

Alterantive:

Have a list in the code with 3 deafault spells from each school, ranked 1, 2 and 3 based on usefullness/cost.

Default: No spells

If you have any magic schools as class skills:
Primary Skill: Adds all 3 spells for that school.
Major: Adds the two lowest ranked spells.
Minto: Adds the lowest ranked spell for that school.

So for example, Resttoration could have:

1: Cure Poison
2: Stamina
3: Heal (or Balynas Balm or whatever it's called)

So only if you had Restoration as your Primary skill would you start with Cure Poison.
(Spells made up on the spot without checking costs.)