MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Re: MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Post by mikeprichard »

Seferoth wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:02 am Waterwalking belong to both Alteration and Thaumaturgy...i am 99.9% sure of it.
Ah, now I'm confused again, because Interkarma said just above that "effects only belong to a single school"... unless there are a handful of exceptions? I'll let the experts chime in before I say anything more and again add to the confusion.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Every spell effect belongs to one spell school only. I have those registered on the mechanics thread. The confusion is that several prefab spells have more than one effect, so practicing them will level up multiple schools, which people erroneously attribute to a single spell effect. All my testing showed that each effect is individual to a school; I've never seen anything to contradict it.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 am Every spell effect belongs to one spell school only. I have those registered on the mechanics thread. The confusion is that several prefab spells have more than one effect, so practicing them will level up multiple schools, which people erroneously attribute to a single spell effect. All my testing showed that each effect is individual to a school; I've never seen anything to contradict it.
So how can Buoyancy raise Thaumaturgy and Water Walking raise Alteration?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I need to see it. I tested it and that didn't happen to me.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 am Every spell effect belongs to one spell school only. I have those registered on the mechanics thread. The confusion is that several prefab spells have more than one effect, so practicing them will level up multiple schools, which people erroneously attribute to a single spell effect. All my testing showed that each effect is individual to a school; I've never seen anything to contradict it.
Ah, got it - so for example, it's not necessarily an error that Spell Resistance shows on both the UESP Alteration and Restoration school pages, assuming that's the spell name and not a discrete effect name? I unfortunately can't test classic Daggerfall right now.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

And according to UESP Buoyancy and Water Walking are Thaumaturgy spells.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Thaumaturgy

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just tested casting Buoyancy and resting, and five times it was Thaumaturgy and not Alteration. This is as I recorded in the mechanics thread:
Water Walking: Thaumaturgy. Duration. Any target, non-elemental.
Buoyancy is a Water Walking spell. I don't see the problem.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 am I just tested casting Buoyancy and resting, and five times it was Thaumaturgy and not Alteration. This is as I recorded in the mechanics thread:
Water Walking: Thaumaturgy. Duration. Any target, non-elemental.
Buoyancy is a Water Walking spell. I don't see the problem.
Yes, Buoyancy raises Thaumaturgy and the spell called Water Walking raises Alteration. Also Water Walking spell is listen here too.
Edit: Or not, i think i have been casting Water Breathing instead, oh well the fact is there is Water Walking in that list below.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Alteration_Spells

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, I just tested the Water Walking spell and it only increases Thaumaturgy, not Alteration.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:21 am Yes, I just tested the Water Walking spell and it only increases Thaumaturgy, not Alteration.
Yes i too noticed that now, but that Alteration spell list at UESP has false information...again. I wonder how messed those lists actually are.