Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Post Reply
User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Interkarma »

Xaphir wrote:Dumb question maybe, I did check the dag manual included in the build zip. But no answer to this question there.

How do I take an in-game screenshot using the Unity engine?
I really need to implement a screenshot hot key...

In Windows, I just use PrintScreen and paste image to paint program. If you don't have anything similar on Linux, you could save a game while looking at your thing, then grab the screenshot.jpg from the numbered save folder in your persistent data path.

I'll put a hot key in soon, though. :)

User avatar
Xaphir
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:I really need to implement a screenshot hot key...

In Windows, I just use PrintScreen and paste image to paint program. If you don't have anything similar on Linux, you could save a game while looking at your thing, then grab the screenshot.jpg from the numbered save folder in your persistent data path.

I'll put a hot key in soon, though. :)

Normally, it wouldn't be a concern, because I can under normal circumstances, take screenshots using Enlightenment. However, because I am on HDMI, there is a showstopper bug in the DE preventing me from taking shots from there. The bug does not manifest when the DE is on standard monitor or the LCD.

There was something I wanted to post as a bug in the game; I saw a hanging plant in the middle of a town outside the Mages guild; hanging in midair. I checked the config files in .config/unity3d/Daggerfall\ Workshop/Daggerfall\ Unity/ but naturally couldn't find a screenshot hotkey.

You ought to know that I have seen this same sort of bug happen in vanilla Dag. It's a powerful statement as to the authenticity of the game experience. :)

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Interkarma »

Xaphir wrote:You ought to know that I have seen this same sort of bug happen in vanilla Dag. It's a powerful statement as to the authenticity of the game experience. :)
Yep, I'm using the same map files and block layout data as vanilla Daggerfall. Any weird issues like that will show up on my side as well. It should be possible to fix these on a block-by-block basis one day, but I'm trying to power through gameplay systems as my first priority.

User avatar
kingOfWyrms
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by kingOfWyrms »

In regards to the Human item drops that you mentioned you need to look into, Interkarma, I've killed about ten different humans in vanilla and paid attention to the loot. It seems from my small test sample that they can drop up to at least 6 pieces of armor, possibly not including a shield in that count, and at least up to two weapons, possibly more. So nothing too different from what you have in already, except of all ten, not a single one had duplicate armor. No multiple right pauldrons or anything like that. It seems the armor dropped is supposed to represent what the enemy might have been wearing, which falls in line with the way all the other TES games (including Arena) handled human loot drops as well. That's all I've found so far, but it's something.

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers mate, appreciate the time taken to test and the recent bug reports. :)

Jay_H
Posts: 3419
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Jay_H »

There isn't a way to quickly alter resolution and graphics quality in the setup window, is there? While I was fiddling around with the mipmapping thing, I decided to change my resolution about 8 times, and each time I had to choose my Daggerfall folder again. I really doubt many people will have to alter theirs as much as I did, so this is hardly a feature that needs improvement, but I'm asking in case it could get revisited later on.
Farewell DFU community! My time here has been a joy.

daggerdude
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by daggerdude »

I played around with this a bit. Quite a nice step forward fellas!

- Classic saves in dungeons spawn you outside instead of in the dungeon. unity saves worked flawlessly.
- a Centaur spawned in privateers hold in place of the usual bear (as you go up the steps past the three rats) as these are placed, im curious how he got there? unless privateer's hold does indeed load dungeon monster type data.
-when dropping various items, they seemed to all be money drops. not a big deal.
- a thief corpse had nothing on him, but let me loot him anyway; this resulted in a bugged menu without a cursor. pressing escape cancelled the menu; this is the only serious bug i've run into.
-when my inventory was empty after dropping all items one by one, i had a bugged menu without a cursor again. basically, it shows the menu but you look around like normal, no cursor. major bug it seems.

- automap has different markers than classic. not a big deal, but for purists this could be an issue. long cylinders are sort of annoying; i understand the need for it to go through multiple levels. missing the delete function of the original, where you could delete individual parts of a map to see better.

- Dungeon texture, for daggerfall, seemed to be incorrect for the region. i went to a random ruin and it seemed to have alik'r textures.

-when switching weapons to a different one, it freezes the game for a split second.

Also, a big pet peeve.... you cannot get back to the main menu from the ESC menu. its not a bug, but it would be nice to have that feature.

Jay_H
Posts: 3419
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not Interkarma (sadly), but I think I could respond to a couple things you raised.
daggerdude wrote:- a thief corpse had nothing on him, but let me loot him anyway; this resulted in a bugged menu without a cursor. pressing escape cancelled the menu; this is the only serious bug i've run into.
-when my inventory was empty after dropping all items one by one, i had a bugged menu without a cursor again. basically, it shows the menu but you look around like normal, no cursor. major bug it seems.
These two sound like they deserve a topic in the Bug Reports forum. We're storing them there for a systematic method of reporting and eliminating them.
- automap has different markers than classic. not a big deal, but for purists this could be an issue. long cylinders are sort of annoying; i understand the need for it to go through multiple levels. missing the delete function of the original, where you could delete individual parts of a map to see better.
That'll be something Nystul handles, as he wrote the automap system for DFU. His topic can be found here.
- Dungeon texture, for daggerfall, seemed to be incorrect for the region. i went to a random ruin and it seemed to have alik'r textures.
This is a known bug, yes. I believe during 0.2 Interkarma said he'll look into ways to fix it in the future, but for now the dungeon interiors will stay incorrect.
Farewell DFU community! My time here has been a joy.

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Interkarma »

daggerdude wrote:I played around with this a bit. Quite a nice step forward fellas!
Cheers, and thanks for the feedback. :)
daggerdude wrote: - Classic saves in dungeons spawn you outside instead of in the dungeon. unity saves worked flawlessly.
This has been the case since 0.1 and will probably not change for a while, if ever. There are good reasons but easiest just to say "it's complicated". You're not really loading classic saves, you're importing their data. It's a best-effort kind of deal that may improve over time.
daggerdude wrote: - a Centaur spawned in privateers hold in place of the usual bear (as you go up the steps past the three rats) as these are placed, im curious how he got there? unless privateer's hold does indeed load dungeon monster type data.
There are fixed and random enemies in all dungeons. Fixed enemies are always the same, random enemies are selected from a pool based on dungeon type and player level. Try coming back with a different character sometime and you will have a different monster in that place. I'm just "differently random".
daggerdude wrote: -when dropping various items, they seemed to all be money drops. not a big deal.
From monsters, a level 1 character has only a small chance of anything other than gold (around 5% per group). This is different for class-based enemies where you're guaranteed at least some armour and a weapon. Try again with a high-level character and you'll get different results. I'm tuning the loot tables to be "Daggerfall-like" and will improve over time.
daggerdude wrote: - a thief corpse had nothing on him, but let me loot him anyway; this resulted in a bugged menu without a cursor. pressing escape cancelled the menu; this is the only serious bug i've run into.
-when my inventory was empty after dropping all items one by one, i had a bugged menu without a cursor again. basically, it shows the menu but you look around like normal, no cursor. major bug it seems.
I fixed these bugs today, will be in next build.
daggerdude wrote: - automap has different markers than classic. not a big deal, but for purists this could be an issue. long cylinders are sort of annoying; i understand the need for it to go through multiple levels. missing the delete function of the original, where you could delete individual parts of a map to see better.
I personally prefer Nystul's implementation. You may want to pop that feedback into his thread in Creator's Corner, in case he doesn't see it here.

Try hitting F3 or F4 sometime after exploring a while, especially in 3D dungeon view. There's a lot more going on in Nystul's map than a lot of people realise at first. It's truly more useful for getting around those labyrinths than Daggerfall's map system.
daggerdude wrote: - Dungeon texture, for daggerfall, seemed to be incorrect for the region. i went to a random ruin and it seemed to have alik'r textures.
Dungeon textures actually have nothing to do with region! :) They are randomly generated using a fixed seed table, lookup table, and a linear congruential generator specific to Daggerfall's compiler. I don't implement this fully yet, partly because I have some reverse engineering to do. I've manually set the texture tables for specific quest dungeons in game, but everything else is just random. It's random in Daggerfall anyway, I'm just "differently random" (again). Will fix this in future.
daggerdude wrote: -when switching weapons to a different one, it freezes the game for a split second.
The first time a weapon is drawn it must be imported, converted, and tinted based on material type. Once texture loaded first time it remains in cache. Time for initial load depends on CPU speed.
daggerdude wrote: Also, a big pet peeve.... you cannot get back to the main menu from the ESC menu. its not a bug, but it would be nice to have that feature.
This bothers me as well. I'll put in a confirmation eventually so you can quit to desktop or main menu.

User avatar
kingOfWyrms
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Interkarma wrote:Dungeon textures actually have nothing to do with region! :) They are randomly generated using a fixed seed table, lookup table, and a linear congruential generator specific to Daggerfall's compiler. I don't implement this fully yet, partly because I have some reverse engineering to do. I've manually set the texture tables for specific quest dungeons in game, but everything else is just random. It's random in Daggerfall anyway, I'm just "differently random" (again). Will fix this in future.
Interkarma, I'm curious. When you say they're "randomly generated using a fixed seed table, lookup table, and a linear congruential generator specific to Daggerfall's compiler", do you mean they use all those things to narrow down the possibilities, and then randomize between what's left, or do you just mean they're procedurally generated using those?

Edit: While I'm at it, is the wilderness terrain in Daggerfall randomly generated? I've noticed a distinct lack of corners of water in DFU's wilderness.
Last edited by kingOfWyrms on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply