New spell effects

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

New spell effects

Post by Jay_H » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Once again robbing from Discord, there are more effects that could be implemented to make DF's spell schools more usable. Illusion, as it stands, is completely broken: Invisibility is far too powerful for too little cost. Therefore, Invisibility would need to increase in spell cost, and let other spells have lower costs.

I don't think Destruction or Restoration need content since they're the most used and most purposeful spell schools, so I don't include them here. Suggestions welcome, though.

ALTERATION
Detect Living
Detect Dead
Gravity Toss: non-damaging spell that throws enemy backward, including off heights
Anchor: holds enemy in place for duration of spell. Enemy can still attack, fire arrows, and cast spells.
Living Armor: During spell's duration, gain +1 resistance to physical damage for every hit received. Re-casting the spell resets the resistance counter.
Frenzy: During the spell's duration, gain 1% quicker attack speed for every successful strike on an enemy. Re-casting the spell resets the speed counter.
Combat Regeneration: During spell's duration, gain +1 health regeneration per magic round for every hit received. Re-casting the spell resets the regeneration counter.
Reflect Damage: Returns 50% of all damage infliced on PC to its attacker during the spell's duration.
Hungry Blade: Heals PC for 10% of damage inflicted with weapons during its duration. Stacks with other lifesteal effects.
Silver Alloy: Any weapon does 2x damage to werewolves and wereboars during its duration.

ILLUSION
Invisibility to Undead
Tame Animal: Enslave a target animal for the spell's duration, causing it to follow and fight for you.
Enslave Undead: Enslave a target undead creature, causing it to follow and fight for you.
Camouflage: Maintains invisibility effect while PC does not move. Archery, fighting, and spellcasting do not break effect.
it would be nice if you could make a clone of yourself like the holo-duke
Bedlam: Affected enemy will randomly target any enemy nearby for its duration.

MYSTICISM
Leaguestep: combat spell, used to teleport 10 meters in a random direction (onto ground on the same elevation)
Conveyance: Teleports to a random point anywhere in the loaded interior. Can be used in dungeons, houses, palaces, etc.
Teleportation: Instant teleportation to any location in the current region. Very high magicka cost, perhaps other side effects. Outdoors only.
Sanctuary: Teleports to outside of the current location (essentially, trans_out console command). Useful for when you forget to set a Recall anchor.
Soul Release: Cast this spell and use an occupied Soul Gem to release the monster inside, enslaving it to follow and fight for you for the spell's duration.

THAUMATURGY:
Slowing Field: An area in front of the caster gains a slowing effect, reducing enemy movement through it by (spellpower)%.
Barrier: An area in front of the caster becomes impassable during the duration.
Feedback: Targeted spell, enemy spellcaster suffers damage of (magicka)/4 for every spell cast during its duration.
Dragging Steps: Gradually reduce the enemy's movement speed to 0, at which it will remain for the spell's duration.
Transmute Poison: If the PC is poisoned, any damage that the poison would cause is healed instead during the duration.
Come join Lysandus' Tomb, a Daggerfall Unity fan Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

Dubiousintent

Re: New spell effects

Post by Dubiousintent » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 am

Suggest a "Push Back" spell (Thaumaturgy or Alteration) that moves everyone in the area around the caster back X number of feet, but at least sufficient to get them out of immediate melee range. The Magnitude value be used to determine more than the minimum distance. Duration also seems appropriate to keep people at the distance only for a limited time but more than just a single "shove".

Edit - An "aura" spell: a variant on "area around caster" where a duration greater than one causes the spell to "pulse" each round, effectively recasting it and targeting new enemies within the current range.

meritamas

Post by meritamas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm

I am planning to add some spell effects at some time in the future. Will be working on it in this thread.
I know the topic is a mess, but it might come to life again if I can get to it. Added link here so I won't forget to check these suggestions.

A little more specifically, I am quite into the Harry Potter universe and maybe collecting some inspiration from other universes and other TES games as well.

About some of the ideas so far:
Silver Alloy - Makes some sense to magically enable a weapon to damage werecreatures but would also consider every other case similarly where ability to damage is contingent on weapon material.
Anchor - makes sense and seems relatively easily implementable.
Gravity Toss - makes sense but cannot currently see how it could be implemented. Like: what does 'backward' mean.
Detect Living, Detect Dead - makes sense but currently can't determine if I'd be able to implement it.
---- henceforth no idea whether and how I could implement it, but prefer to comment anyway
Invisibility to Undead - could make sense - would not hurt to think up some lore about how undead creatures detect you and how you can fool them by magic. Perhaps more of a mysticism spell.
Tame Animal, Enslave Undead - could look at it as a simplified ersion of the Imperius idea, without needing to go into the fuss about how to control them - give them instructions. Could consider Daedra, Humanoids, NPCs as targets, too.
Bedlam - generally, when a spell effect messes with the will of the target, there should be a constraint. The spell should be useable by enemies, too and entities with high willpower should be harder to subvert.
Leaguestep: could consider making it so you can choose where to reappear (perhaps for a higher magicka cost)
Teleportation - I was already consiering something of the like. Don't see why it should be constrained to the current region. The spell should take you high (random height) above the ground level, then you should slow-fall down. Perhaps a risky version that could sometimes teleport you into the earth where you can't move and eventually drown if you can't teleport out.
Sanctuary: about recall anchors. I think you should ba able to have several anchors, the number could be contingent on mysticism skill and intelligence.

Theoretically it is possible to add new magic effects, also to replace current ones with a new implementation, so a lot should be possible.

Cheers!
Currently working (mostly) on Roads.
Further interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 pm

meritamas wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm
Gravity Toss - makes sense but cannot currently see how it could be implemented. Like: what does 'backward' mean.
It would just replicate the current knockback mechanic in melee combat, but now as a spell and doing no damage. The ability to use it melee or at range opens some flexibility, or area at range too.

Looking forward to what you can do with spell effects! :)
Come join Lysandus' Tomb, a Daggerfall Unity fan Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

meritamas

Post by meritamas » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Jay_H wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 pm
meritamas wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm
It would just replicate the current knockback mechanic in melee combat, but now as a spell and doing no damage. The ability to use it melee or at range opens some flexibility, or area at range too.

Looking forward to what you can do with spell effects! :)
Thanks for the explanation. If the mechanic is already implemented, it definitely makes things a lot easier.
Well, I think I will make an attempt at creating a decent Magic Mod at some time in the future, but it will be quite a long way into the future. In no case should anybody wait for me :)
Currently working (mostly) on Roads.
Further interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.