Questions about "Area around Caster" effect from SpellMaker

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Dubiousintent

Questions about "Area around Caster" effect from SpellMaker

Post by Dubiousintent »

* How large is the "area"? (If in "game units", how do we compare them to appearances in-game?)

* Is the "area" fixed at the time of casting or is it centered around the caster and able to move with them?

* Are only enemies within the area at the time of casting affected, or are any enemies who enter the area while it's duration is still active also affected?

pango

Re: Questions about "Area around Caster" effect from SpellMaker

Post by pango »

Dubiousintent wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 am * How large is the "area"? (If in "game units", how do we compare them to appearances in-game?)
That one is relatively easy, 4 meters radius (your character is 2 units high, so the unit is about a meter)
Dubiousintent wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 am * Is the "area" fixed at the time of casting or is it centered around the caster and able to move with them?

* Are only enemies within the area at the time of casting affected, or are any enemies who enter the area while it's duration is still active also affected?
I don't think that's how it works (but I could have read things wrong). If you check DaggerfallMissile code above, the effect is only played once (missileReleased trigger condition), and determines who, around the caster, is affected; then if the spell has any effect over time, those targets will be affected over time.
tl;dr: it's a variant of missile, not an aura following you around
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

It would be awesome to see the damage shield type of spells seen in later games implemented. I think an easy way to do this might be a variation of the mentioned effect duration that can be attached to a spell. With the duration resetting at certain intervals so it would be similar to a pulse effect or a recasting of a damage spell with the enemy given a chance of resist for each click of the duration.

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

Thank you for the clear answer.

I also like the suggested implementation for "area" spells with duration. "Pulsing" an area spell for each round of duration above one seems like a simple and satisfactory solution to the "aura" question.