Smaller Dungeons on MacOS

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
robcampav

Smaller Dungeons on MacOS

Post by robcampav »

Hi guys. I was playing DFU every day for a good while and then gave it a good break. I recently discovered that there is an experimental option for smaller dungeons, which would nearly completely solve the one small gripe i have about daggerfall. After some searching, i think i ended up finding the file im supposed to edit.
NOTE* I'm playing on MacOS
i think the path is like this

MacintoshHD>Users>robcampav>desktop>DaggerfallUnity>contents>resources>data>resources.assets

i can find the line for "SmallerDungeons=False" but, when i change it to be true using a text editor, the game will no longer launch, and i just sit at a black screen with a pixelated blue cursor. however, if i go back and edit it to be false, the game starts up just fine. What am i doing wrong? I'd really like to try the game like this, i think it could literally be a game-changer.

hoping for some assistance,
thanks

Digsjin

Re: Smaller Dungeons on MacOS

Post by Digsjin »

Hey, I was having a similar problem quite recently. The main thing you did incorrectly is edit the resources.assets file. DON'T do that. There's some fairly detailed instructions already on the forum, but suffice it to say you're supposed to change False to True on the settings.ini file even if it seems like the ecquivalent for it on OSx is the resources.assets file.

The way you find it on Mac is:
Users/username/Library/Application Support/unity.Daggerfall.Workshop.Daggerfall Unity

And in there you should see the Settings.ini file which you have to edit. This can be a little confusing since the default settings of Mac OSx automatically hide the Library file so you have to select "Show Library File" on Finder before you can change it.