Can't load classic saves

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Vorran

Can't load classic saves

Post by Vorran »

Pretty much as the subject says, when I attempt to load the save it says "Could not open classic save index 5." I'm using the bethesda launcher version of Daggerfall. I've attached my saves and would greatly appreciate any assistance, thanks!
Attachments
Daggerfall saves.rar
(247.46 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Vorran

Re: Can't load classic saves

Post by Vorran »

Nevermind I fixed it myself. For anyone having similar issues I just reinstalled the game from the daggerfallsetup link rather than using the bethesda launcher version, loaded my save in there, saved over it and then installed Daggerfall Unity and loaded my save from there and it worked fine.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Well done on solving this one.

The problem here is the original classic save wasn't patched to .213 and Daggerfall Unity requires all game data patched to .213 level.

The Bethesda Launcher version of Daggerfall is not a patched version of the classic game. You need to do this manually yourself after install. See here for more details. I'd honestly ditch the Bethesda version completely, it's easily the worst way to get the game for either playing classic or DFU. DaggerfallSetup is the best version out there.

By installing DaggerfallSetup and resaving, you've updated save data to be compatible with Daggerfall Unity. Please make sure you've also pointed Daggerfall Unity to this game data so that it's using a patched version. Running with unpatched game data is going to cause more problems elsewhere.

All the best and good luck with the game!

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Apologies for bumping, I just wanted to pop in and say that I've run into the same error in DFU 0.14.5, but using classic saved games from the latest patched version.

Turns out that I had to disable all mods for the saves to load.