Mod idea: map on quest offer

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Mod idea: map on quest offer

Post by Ralzar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Playing with Tedious Travel etc I have become a LOT more sensitive to how far away quest objectives are. I keep over and over taking quests then checking the map and seeing it's in a really awkward part of the map, loading and trying a new quest.
It would be REALLY handy if when a quest popped up, that you would get a small version of the region map pop up on the side showing the quest target location.
So when a you get a quest asking you if you want to take a package to Holham, you can see where the hell Holham is before agreeing to it? The quests are written in a way that assumes you know where the destination is, but you have no way of checking unless you open another session of Daggerfall to check the map.
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

Lokkrin Zhataros

Re: Mod idea: map on quest offer

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm

That certainly would be nice! :) Maybe add an additional option like 'CHECK MAP' somewhere near the 'YES' & 'NO' options when a quest is offered to you. It could possibly just pop up a version of the Travel Map that is restricted to the regional map scale so you can interact with it like you would normally and you can sort of 'plan out' your travel before excepting the quest. Just ideas.
Using Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.25 - Win 64 bit

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah, I was also thinking that. A little map button you could mouse over or click on to bring up the region map with the target location marked.
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm

It would be even better if the random quest generator itself took into account the distance and strongly favored closer locations. So that the probability of the generated quest being concerned with location X dropped proportionately to the distance to X from the current location. It would also make sense from the rational point of view: people (i.e. potential questgivers) are generally more concerned with what is going on near them.

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Kzer-Za wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm
It would be even better if the random quest generator itself took into account the distance and strongly favored closer locations. So that the probability of the generated quest being concerned with location X dropped proportionately to the distance to X from the current location. It would also make sense from the rational point of view: people (i.e. potential questgivers) are generally more concerned with what is going on near them.
Hmm, maybe. You could have an option in the mod's settings to 'Prefer nearby quest locations' or something. But in this case, I ultimately want to be in control of what general locations I'm going to. Because for me it depends on my mood or what part of the game I'm in. I may want to discover new places and travel to the far ends of the region, or maybe I just want to stay close to home. I would want the ability to decide that at any time within my game.
people (i.e. potential questgivers) are generally more concerned with what is going on near them.
From a realism standpoint: It really would depend on the quest and why they may be sending you to a far off place and not always local places. Maybe faction members who are closer to that place failed the task or are too busy, they send you instead. or maybe a unique item can only be found at that far off dungeon, etc. The quests don't generally specify this, but that's my usual assumption.

--

This sort of makes me think that this 'map on quest offer' feature would be better implemented in the Tedious Travel mod anyways, or similar mod. Simply because it's not as practical if you're just using normal classic fast travel.

Just more thoughts.
Using Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.25 - Win 64 bit