[Mod] Limited Gold Shops

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Limited Gold Shops

Post by Magicono43 »

Limited Gold Shops

All shops that can normally have items sold to them (besides thieves guild fences) now have a limited supply of gold that restocks every 15 in-game days after first being entered. This supply of gold is determined by many factors, primarily being store quality, as well as regional modifier. Stores can be invested in to increase this limit.

Download

WHAT DOES THIS MOD CHANGE AND WHY?:
  • The economy in Daggerfall has quite the glaring flaw. That being every shop owner has a bottomless bank-account in which to buy all of your looted items, every single store even the most run down one in the region. For me, this is a massive point of non-realism, in a game that has many aspects and ambitions of being somewhat of a simulation of a fantasy sandbox. This mod aims to assist in fixing this problem, by giving every shop a limited gold supply, very similar to how it works in Morrowind.
  • The player will now have to work more to get as much out of their loot cart hoard as possible. No longer can you dump 10 daedric katanas at the local run down general store and come out a millionaire. Now you will actually have to visit multiple stores in order to sell your piles of loot, or wait a not insignificant amount of in-game time for those shops to restock their gold supply. You may not even be able to get the most expected gold out of very expensive items, and instead have to settle for what the shop has left.
  • With these added restrictions on selling loot, there is also a mechanic added in that will allow the player to "groom" shops that they use frequently in order to get more out of each restock cycle. This mechanic being investment, if the player invests in a shop, a portion of that amount will be added onto every future restock for that shop, so the more invested in a store, the more you can sell to that shop per-cycle before they run out of gold to buy your stuff with. So if you like a certain city or town, you can improve the shops by investing in them, the return you will get from your investment is determined by many factors, primarily the quality of the shop, as well as the total amount invested.

SPOILERS/MORE DETAILS:
  • Of the many things that effect how much gold is generated in a store, some other factors include: Player Luck stat, and player Mercantile skill, if the shop was invested in.
  • If you load a save that is inside a shop that you have never been in before installing this mod, the shop will have no supply of gold, to fix this simply exit the shop and re-enter again and a gold amount will be generated.
  • If you want EXACT numbers and information on how some mechanics and formula work in this mod, under the hood. You can look at the source code yourself from the Github linked lower down. You can also email/post a thread on the parent forum post linked below and I would be happy to answer any questions.

OPTIONS:
  • No Settings as of yet.

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, i'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Github Source Code: Github

Possible Future Feature Ideas & Concepts To Be Added:
    - 7/6/2020, 7:30 AM: Have the TYPE of shop have some effect on the generated amount of gold on average. Something more in-line with how much the player would normally be able to sell at these types of shops. For example, making the average amount lower for alchemy shops, since most of the alchemy ingredients in the game are relatively low value overall, same idea with the exclusively clothing shops and such. With this ability to detect shop "type" also possibly add some unique dialogue to differentiate between these different types of businesses. Much more can be built on this idea.

- 7/7/2020, 12:00 PM: Hopefully make some compatibility patches/updates similar to those done for my Physical Combat Overhaul mod. Attempt to get other mods that edit the Trade-window to work together with this mod at the same time, will eventually try and get these to work in the same window, key example being the "Inventory Filter" mod.

Edit 1 -- 7/19/2020, 5:25 PM: Released Update Version Compatible With DFU v0.10.25
Last edited by Magicono43 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Limited Gold Shops

Post by Magicono43 »

Limited_Gold_Shop_Thumb-Nail_Image.png
Limited_Gold_Shop_Thumb-Nail_Image.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 7432 times
Untitled11.png
Untitled11.png (473.97 KiB) Viewed 7432 times
Untitled12.png
Untitled12.png (481.97 KiB) Viewed 7432 times

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Now this is a mod that I've been waiting for! :D It's far too easy to get rich in DF and this may just be the best solution. I'll use this mod now and see how it works.

Thanks Magicano43 for this! :)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:59 am Now this is a mod that I've been waiting for! :D It's far too easy to get rich in DF and this may just be the best solution. I'll use this mod now and see how it works.

Thanks Magicano43 for this! :)
No problem, it was a necessary change if you ask me. I'll have to take any feed-back over time and see if the generated amounts need to be adjusted. It's definitely going to be noticeable with the higher ticket price items, but you are not likely to clear out most stores with a massive cart full of leather armor and iron weapons. But that's one of the consequences of not basing stuff on the level of the player. This problem should hopefully get better when an "unleveled loot" mod becomes a thing.

Lokkrin Zhataros

I've been testing this mod out and it seems to not work correctly. For me it hasn't been limiting the gold in the shops. I've been able to sell 100k+ worth of stuff and there's no indicator of the amount of the shop's limited gold in the UI as pictured in the screenshot. The 'Invest' button does appear in the UI and tells me I need more intelligence and mercantile skill, so that's working as far as I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 pm I've been testing this mod out and it seems to not work correctly. For me it hasn't been limiting the gold in the shops. I've been able to sell 100k+ worth of stuff and there's no indicator of the amount of the shop's limited gold in the UI as pictured in the screenshot. The 'Invest' button does appear in the UI and tells me I need more intelligence and mercantile skill, so that's working as far as I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something.
Do you have the "Limited Gold Shops" mod loaded below the "Inventory Filter" mod? If my mod is loaded before that mod, the limited shop gold part won't function at all, since both mods override the trade window. So make sure my mod is lower in the load order than the "Inventory Filter" mod, if you are using that.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.06 KiB) Viewed 7336 times

Lokkrin Zhataros

Magicono43 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 pm I've been testing this mod out and it seems to not work correctly. For me it hasn't been limiting the gold in the shops. I've been able to sell 100k+ worth of stuff and there's no indicator of the amount of the shop's limited gold in the UI as pictured in the screenshot. The 'Invest' button does appear in the UI and tells me I need more intelligence and mercantile skill, so that's working as far as I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something.
Do you have the "Limited Gold Shops" mod loaded below the "Inventory Filter" mod? If my mod is loaded before that mod, the limited shop gold part won't function at all, since both mods override the trade window. So make sure my mod is lower in the load order than the "Inventory Filter" mod, if you are using that.
Oops, my bad! :? I thought I had rearranged the two mods around already, I didn't. Sorry about that. Thanks for the reminder, it works now. :)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Magicono43 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Oops, my bad! :? I thought I had rearranged the two mods around already, I didn't. Sorry about that. Thanks for the reminder, it works now. :)
No problem, since I did a compatibility arrangement with Ralzar and 13lessed for their mods and my Combat Overhaul, I'll probably want to try and do the same with mods currently out there that override this same window. Keep an eye out for that eventually, hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to get working together, when I get a chance to look into that.

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Post by UnopenedCanofSpoopy »

Just a heads up, but this mod seems to completely break under version 0.10.25.

Lokkrin Zhataros

UnopenedCanofSpoopy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:13 am Just a heads up, but this mod seems to completely break under version 0.10.25.
Can confirm, this mod does not work in DFU latest build. It doesn't show up in the UI, give option to "invest" or limit gold in shops. (tested with Outfit Manager disabled)