[MOD] Vanity Clone [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Interkarma

Re: [MOD] Vanity Clone [WIP]

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:49 pm Now, where's the code at? :D
Code is all in below commit:

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 9ce1d86d5f

The mod is basically above, just repackaged as a mod with a few bug fixes. I'll stick this in its own repo eventually. :)

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Great mod. Ming is also my favorite testing character by the way :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Ferital! :)

Yeah, Ming is a beast, he just steamrolls everything. I noted that cured vampire save you sent not long ago was Ming. Good catch on that bug too, thanks so much for that.

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Wait...hold on! :o We can take selfies in Daggerfall now! Holy crap, this is awesome! :D Thanks Interkarma for this!

-Just thinking it'd be fun to open up a 'selfies' topic for everyone to post their shots. ;)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I cant but notice how extremely well the paperdoll sprite blends in with the world.

As a matter of fact, any idea why this did not occur to the original developers to make actual in-game NPCs this way? You could then have an almost infinite variety of differently clothed, armed and armoured characters available.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My best answer is "dunno". :) Maybe for design reasons or they just didn't like it? From a technical standpoint, it does seem like an obvious and sensible way to use all those paper doll textures. They do have some memory overhead, as each individual would need to be composited to a unique texture buffer. Then again, we only see a handful of static NPCs per interior. Surely even a DOS-era game could handle that.

Possibly those paper doll textures didn't look very good at low resolutions? But I just tried it with 320x200 retro rendering and it still looks pretty decent and in-world to me. I only scaled up image here so it didn't look so tiny in the forum post.
vanityclone-320x200.jpg
vanityclone-320x200.jpg (201.76 KiB) Viewed 1601 times

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Judging by the finished result (Daggerfall) I suspect a very, very large number of things "occurred" to the developers.

Then they wrote them all down on notes, threw them in a hat and drew out ideas to implement until they ran out of time and had to launch. :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Haha yeah I feel that. :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I ran into a slight problem. I'm playing a non-magic character with no magic in sunlight, no magic in darkness, no magica regen.
After adding the spell through showspellmaker, the spell cost 5 magica to cast and I have 0. I just used tgm to get around it, but the spell maker showed the spell as going to cost 0?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks. It should always cost 5 in current setup, not sure why it's displaying 0. I'll look at making this a true 0-cost spell.