[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Pogs

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by Pogs »

Finally got a shield today and I found out that blocking/parrying is very inconsistent(?), as in, pressing the custom hotkey will not trigger block/parry 50% of the time and just do nothing, some other time it would just get stuck mid animation and require a restart.

Tried to run this mod alone and I get the same result, not sure if this bug was reported before, but I couldn't find anything about it when I searched the thread.

osman

Post by osman »

l3lessed wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:26 pm Are you setting up your proper keys osman? This sounds like you have osfhand and the main attack keys bound to the same key?
I tried changing the keys but i guess i did something wrong earlier cuz now it works with no problems. After setting the proper keys, i haven't encountered any problem. Love the dual wielding, nice work!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Pogs, the parry key is holding both attack one and two at the same time. As long as its held down, it should play the animation and parry. Once let go, it should stop.

I need to see how Diverse weapon implements their code. I want to ensure this remains as compatible as possible for all mods.

I released a new version today. I'm going to move it to nexus on the next release and call it Beta official, as I think its in a playable state, even if it is rough around the edges and has some small refactoring needed.

The new version just messes with the bob code more, as to allow constant bobbing through all weapon and equip states.

I'm back from a long vacation, so I should be working on DF mods on and off more, including this one. I want to get this all smooth and stable, along with the minimap mod, and then move to getting the first 3d models in, since I started that and had a rough framework going.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

snaplord

Post by snaplord »

Using the latest version, whether using 1-handed, 2-handed or dual wielded weapons, eventually in combat the animation locks with the weapon fully extended in the swing animation. Changing weapons clears it for a few seconds, then the same swung animation lock with the previous weapon appears. For example, if the animation locked with a staff and I switch to 2 daggers, after a few seconds the locked animation staff appears again. I'm not using any other combat mods.

Cassandra-IX

Post by Cassandra-IX »

I would like to humbly request a vanilla-fied version of the mod that doesn't affect mechanics (or alters them only slightly) while still introducing the shield and smooth weapon anims. All weapons swing smoothly and with a shield equipped, it is raised automatically every time an attack roll against a body part protected by the shield fails.

P.S. Shields are kinda heavy and perhaps should affect the torso too to be worth it?

gammonator

Post by gammonator »

Hi. Just installed a few modules and I've only been able to use higher graphics for the shield module despite having installed DREAM. I also can't figure out how to keep my shield raised, I've only so far been able to bring it up in a parry movement before it goes back down. I've tried multiple key bindings for the Shield module. Any help?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'll be back working on this. I'm unsure why the Dream mod is not activating the proper textures for you. It should auto detect it and use them, but its been a little since been on this mod.

As for the shield issue, that is an option within the mod settings itself.

Shields are meant to mimic real life combat shields. Smaller shields, like bucklers and below, were never held in place for defense. They were used as parry and bash devices to keep your opponent off balance when they are attacking. Holding them in front of you allowed attackers easy access around the block location, blocked your view, minimized kinetic motion/energy build up, and really served no real benefit. As a result, small shields were raised to deflect blows or bash the opponent off balance and then put back into a prepared position, as to be out of the way for your next move but ready for another parry/block/bash if the opponent attacks again. The only shields in reality that were held in front of people like we see in most modern games, were tower shields. And those were largely used by archers or defense lines for stationary defense against distance weapons and mounted charges.

If you don't want this setting at all, go into the mod settings area, and turn off the buckler mechanics, and there may be one other setting to enable or disable buckler style blocking for all shields or not, can't remember. Play with those, but the options in there for people who want more traditional hold/fantasy style blocking, and not realistic style combat.

I will be back on this after I release enchanted compass 5.0.

My last plan for this mod is to tie the arc attacks into NPC enemies attacks, so enemies have actual attack arcs, and don't just role some random die chance hitter when you get within a certain range.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.