[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by King of Worms »

...continuation from previous page
4th Shield.png
4th Shield.png (1005.8 KiB) Viewed 3911 times

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

it is, but it looks nice :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, hopefully it gets in a game at some point. If so, maybe I3lessed can add some note that the HD shields are cooperation of Daggerdude & KoW and low res shields are just yours or something along these lines :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I swear its coming. Once I drop it on nexus, I'll ensure all credits are top and center, and I'll add them the the top post here.

Thank you everyone for the patience and art.

I'm reworking the parry system with the new animation management system to be more intuitive and work like Skryims and modern games one handed and two handed blocking system. Hold block, move sword into a parry position, and go into a blocking parry mode that cost stamina for blocked damage. Let go of block, and go out of parry mode.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No worries, just genuinely looking forward to it :) Good luck

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Update Galore(Animations, Bug Smashing, Mechanic Updates): Get It On Github Now!

This update is loaded, and it is a doozy of an update:
  • Animation System Reworked Again: Animations are now individual numerators compiled into a dictionary and assigned unique names on compiling call. When compiled, it takes the list of assigned animation numerators and then assigns the list to a dictionary entry with the unique animation key/label for that animation routine set. These unique keys/labels are used to more easily control animation interactions as player moves between differing attack and movement states.
  • Enemies React To Impacts: When an enemy is hit and takes no damage, the sword bounces back, sparks are created, and the enemy does a hit animation without any of the extra blood sprites produced (The lack of extra blood indicates it isn't a damaging hit, even if you made contact). If you do damage, the enemy does a hit animation with the damage blood sprites added (The classic hit animation system). Now you can feel like the world and enemies around you have density to them.
  • Independent Reactive Hands: Each hand is its own object and script to control it. The hands will always react in their own separate animation/way from each other for realistic hand animations unlike before.
  • Completely Smooth Hands: Hands bob freely, move around/out of the way when doing an action, and always return to a resting and bob/idle position. This includes smooth transitions if animations are interrupted by other actions, like attacks. No frame skipping.
  • Attack Prep System: The first attack of any non-chained/primed attack will always require a windup/priming animation, where the sword is pulled off to the side/out of screen, then the classic attack is initiated. This is put in for realism and to also make attack priming (see below bullet) more useful.
  • Attack Priming System: You can now use the last two frames of your attack to que up another one and skip the wind up animation. This allows for choosing to play more aggressively, forgo defensive blocks and parry, and go right into another attack.
  • New Parry System: The parry system has been overhauled to operate like a more modern defensive/blocking/parry system. When activated, you will go into parry mode with a defensive weapon animation. It will stay active as long as you hold down the parry keys, and you will actively parry/deflect enemy attacks in this defensive state. When let go, you will go back to an idle position, and the moment you let go of the keys, you can be hit; however, you can also begin attacking right out of a parry too. Mimics Skyrim's system almost exactly.
  • Small bug and timing fixes: Can't remember them all, but tried to clear out any remaining bugs of any type, update animation timings to be more responsive for certain animations, and tried to smooth all animations together no matter your current state or action.
Please report any spotted bugs or issues. I did not do heavy testing with lycanthrope forms/animations or bow use, and I'm assuming the old code is still good. I also didn't do any real testing outside the start dungeon.

Cassandra-IX

Post by Cassandra-IX »

Smooth animations would blend in better if the extra generated frames were capped at roughly 12-18 fps to emulate a pre-rendered, slightly choppy look of the era.

It’s also possible to generate a few real extra frames (instead of changing the offset of an existing frame) using Flowframes:

https://github.com/n00mkrad/flowframes

Most of the output will be garbage (considering how few and far between the source frames are) but it’s quite possible to get a couple more nice-looking anchor frames to stick in the base animation. More real frames means more realistically looking fake frames generated by the ‘smooth’ option in the mod.

Cassandra-IX

Post by Cassandra-IX »

P.S. Since the player’s attack speed is linked to SPD it all boils down to how many fake frames to dynamically insert between the real ones in order to maintain a relatively smooth animation speed without triggering an uncanny valley effect. So it may be 5/4/3/2/1 fake frames inserted between every two adjacent source ones, depending on the overall swing duration and aiming to approximate anywhere between 15 and 20 fps.

Same rate goes to shield animations and hand bobbing (which I reckon consist entirely of fake frames that are basically the same single frame with fluctuating offset)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its strange, it does not work for me, at all.
1st I tired with DFU 0.14.5 than updated to latest 0.15.2
Disabled all mods but Ambidexterity mod, made sure its enable ingame.
Nothing. Weapons still dont bob when moving, no smooth animations, like the mod does not exist.
Not sure what Im doing wrong here.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Hmm, let me check. Probably a small issue I'm overlooking.