[0.10.24] Aggro Privateer Skeleton

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
13thsyndicate

[0.10.24] Aggro Privateer Skeleton

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Not sure if this is intended behaviour or not. I'm new here but I think everyone on these forums is familiar with the skeleton warrior in Privateer's Hold. In CLassic Daggerfall it's possible to avoid it completely by using the "secret" door behind the stairs leading up to its platform, though once in a very great while (been playing for years and only had it happen once) it will come down from its platform and say 'hi'. When running DFU with the enhanced enemy AI, every new game I've made, the skeleton is waiting at the bottom of the stairs ready to kick my rear the moment I walk out of the archer room into the foyer area. Creating a new game with enhanced AI off, however, it didn't show up there. My assumption is that the enhanced AI results in more aggressive behavior or a larger detect range where it will go after the player, but I don't know if that's intentional or a bug.

It's pretty easy to reproduce - just make a new character starting in Privateer's Hold with the enhanced AI on and then run through the dungeon as normal until you reach the large foyer area where you can go upstairs to fight the skeleton or take the side path.

pango

Re: [0.10.24] Aggro Privateer Skeleton

Post by pango »

Hi, welcome to the forums 13thsyndicate!

I suspect the difference is "enemies infighting", that makes the skeleton usually attack the bat at the bottom of the stairs (and the bat attack the skeleton). That feature must require enhanced AI, so by disabling enhanced AI you probably also disable enemies infighting.

Those optional features don't exist in classic, so they're free to significantly change the player's experience.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

13thsyndicate

Re: [0.10.24] Aggro Privateer Skeleton

Post by 13thsyndicate »

I just watched him start to come down the stairs on a no-enhanced AI playthrough, must've gotten lucky the first time I played without it since infighting worked on the imp, bat, and rat in the final room. Thank you for the quick response!