Shop quality text doesn't appear for guilds

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
13thsyndicate

Shop quality text doesn't appear for guilds

Post by 13thsyndicate »

In Classic, every non-temple guild had a shop quality just like stores did, like "Rusty relics lie wherever..." or "Incense and soft music..." etc. In DFU these popups don't show, even though in Classic they did affect the prices of services inside the guild (such as buying spells from a Mage's Guild).

Jay_H

Re: Shop quality text doesn't appear for guilds

Post by Jay_H »

13thsyndicate wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 am In Classic, every non-temple guild had a shop quality just like stores did
A bit of a correction: TG and DB don't show them, but the Knightly Orders, MG and FG do.

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Oops, sorry. I've never done TG or DB in Daggerfall so.

pango

Post by pango »

Displaying the message seems simple enough:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... op-quality

However I noticed that standard spells cost didn't vary from MG to MG, so some logic may be missing...
What services should be affected exactly?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Pretty sure it was decided that it was not applicable to guilds, but it's a long time ago so I could be wrong.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is intentional. Shop quality messages don't appear to fit guilds very meaningfully, and the descriptive text seems more suited to shops. Not all guilds display these even in classic, only a few of them. It seems inconsistent and more like a bug in classic. This topic went through the community some years back and the decision was not to display for guilds.

Spell costs formula is based on skil values - building quality does not factor in at all. Some other guild services might change based on building quality.