[Request] Use Mousewheel to scroll through interaction modes.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Kyosho

[Request] Use Mousewheel to scroll through interaction modes.

Post by Kyosho »

When playing Daggerfall, just about every time I have to change interaction modes, I instinctively go for the mouse wheel. This is due to my playing a lot of point and click adventure games. Most modern adventure games (or remakes/ports of older ones) that have multiple interaction cursors allow scrolling through them via the mousewheel. Daggerfall isn't exactly a point and click, but my brain seems hardwired to reach for that mousewheel every single time.

As far as I can tell, when not in menus, the scroll wheel isn't used for anything. Would it be possible to use it to scroll through the Steal/Grab/Info/Dialogue modes? If for some reason that isn't possible, would it be possible to have a single bindable key that cycles through them? I think this is something that would likely take a lot of work to implement. Like, messing with the source code. I doubt it could be made as a normal mod, but I can't be certain.

Ralzar

Re: [Request] Use Mousewheel to scroll through interaction modes.

Post by Ralzar »

Yes please.
If there was a keybind for “next mode” and “last mode” this could also be used for controller setups.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This could be done. I don't have the time to do it working on my stuff.

The easiest and quickest way would be to setup an OnGui routine and use that to setup the following routine.

1. setup an if then that Monitors for any daggerfall UI windows using the count method, and if counted windows == 0, then proceed to run a if then input check using the input manager for either the scroll up or down input. If either input is detected, either cycle up or down on the mode using a basic array loop. You may have to build a quick int array to assign and cycle through the modes, if they do not have a unique value already you can use to cycle.

Guessing could be done in a few hundred lines of code.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

I'll probably work on adding scrollwheel interactions after getting some other input features added to the project. Most likely I'll create a "Scroll Wheel" axis that can be bound to a binding in the control settings.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

deadtom

Post by deadtom »

I don't know if it is acceptable to necro threads on the forums here, I couldn't find a rule about it, but I just want to mention that I too would love to see a feature like this!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Necroing threads in the modding section can be permissible, as long as it isn't disruptive (ie: distracting or detrimental to the general forum flow). In the Support sections, making a new thread is almost always the right choice ;)

Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

As the original creator of the thread, I support the necro-ing, if that helps. Haha. I haven't actually played DFU since around when I made this thread. If this still isn't a thing, then yeah. Assuming it's possible at all.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

We're currently still in a feature freeze until 1.0 release, so I will work on this eventually once we're through that!
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub