[Mod] Vanilla Normal Mapped

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
socuciustarkus

[Mod] Vanilla Normal Mapped

Post by socuciustarkus »

ALL VISUALS ON THIS POST ARE OUTDATED, CHECK NEXUS FOR PREVIEWS https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... escription
Cover.png
Cover.png (675.93 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Vanilla Normal Mapped

Welcome to my first DFUnity mod! This mod just basically adds Normal mapped textures into the game based on the original size and resolution of the original textures. I used a few simple programs to extract all of Daggerfall's textures, rename them into the proper DFUnity format, and created normal maps for each and every one of them.

The main program I used: https://github.com/Theverat/NormalmapGenerator

This mod is kind of like Pure Vanilla Extract, but for those who prefer the original low-res style of the game

Download

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... escription

Installation Instructions

Extract Normals.zip or NormalsNoTerrain.zip into your \DFUnity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets folder. All the textures should automatically go into \StreamingAssets\Textures

Examples
sample6.png
sample6.png (753.26 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
sample7.png
sample7.png (776.68 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Please leave any feedback or requests in the comments below, I'll see what I can do to help out!
Last edited by socuciustarkus on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: [Mod] Vanilla Normal Mapped

Post by King of Worms »

This was fast :) Looks quite interresting, I really dig the idea!
Congrats on the release and thank you for your contribution!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Looks great!

I think a guy called SubPixel-Chris was trying to do the same thing, but I guess he ran out of steam. I kinda have too with my Pure Vanilla Extract mod. I've tried batching the normal map generation, but never could get decent results en masse with any program. They look good enough for many of the low resolution textures, but they can look too noisy on the upscaled versions.

I have about 400 textures that have refined normal and height maps that I made for my PVE mod. I had always intended for my mod to be open source because I don't want my work to be lost and no one to be able to use the base assets for their projects just because I've lost interest... our community has seen it happen too many times. I've been working on another big project lately and I haven't had time to work on this mod anymore, so I'd rather it not go to waste if you have any use for it.

I'll try to upload all the source files soon. You can use these PBR texture maps in your mod if you want to, but you'll have to down sample the resolution. It would be ideal if you had Unity installed so you could just import the material files. Most of the texture maps that I have won't look right unless they have the material settings that I've tweaked...

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

MasonFace wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:11 pm Looks great!

I think a guy called SubPixel-Chris was trying to do the same thing, but I guess he ran out of steam. I kinda have too with my Pure Vanilla Extract mod. I've tried batching the normal map generation, but never could get decent results en masse with any program. They look good enough for many of the low resolution textures, but they can look too noisy on the upscaled versions.

I have about 400 textures that have refined normal and height maps that I made for my PVE mod. I had always intended for my mod to be open source because I don't want my work to be lost and no one to be able to use the base assets for their projects just because I've lost interest... our community has seen it happen too many times. I've been working on another big project lately and I haven't had time to work on this mod anymore, so I'd rather it not go to waste if you have any use for it.

I'll try to upload all the source files soon. You can use these PBR texture maps in your mod if you want to, but you'll have to down sample the resolution. It would be ideal if you had Unity installed so you could just import the material files. Most of the texture maps that I have won't look right unless they have the material settings that I've tweaked...
I'm not sure I'd do anything with the files, but I'll hold on to them if you want and maybe if I get better at all of this I could mess with them or something. It's all up to you, but thanks

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Id like to archive those textures MasonFace, one day I might find the strength to finalize them :)

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Really digging the look of this! I recently switched from D.R.E.A.M. back to vanilla textures (mostly because I started using Villager immersion Overhaul and the stylistic clash between VIO's low-res flats and D.R.E.A.M.'s high-res textures is a little too jarring for me) and one thing I've definitely been missing from it is the normal maps. This definitely scratches that itch! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just tried it and, while I love how it looks in interiors and in "manmade" exterior structures like walls and roofs, I have mixed feelings about how it looks in exterior ground textures like grass and dirt. They look great up close but when they're a little farther away it just starts looking like the textures are peppered with random dark pixels. Antialiasing helps but then it just kinda looks like TV static when you move. This isn't a huge deal but it does look kind of unpleasant.

Unless there's a way to limit the distance at which the game starts applying normal maps, I guess I'll just delete the ones corresponding to exterior ground textures and use everything else.
Still a great mod, tho! :D
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

pango

Post by pango »

Looks like the problem mipmapping solves for albedo textures, does the same principle exist for normal maps?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:39 pm Looks like the problem mipmapping solves for albedo textures, does the same principle exist for normal maps?
Ive created normal maps for my terrain textures and the shimmering at the distance was massive - no mip maps IMO. The whole normal mapping for terrain textures is a unusable for me, and it has more reasons. Lacus found a work around but I cant apply that to my textures. You must build everything a new for that to work. And lately, the splat map system is looking better than the orginal tiles, so I just abandoned any attempts on improving the terrain, as the splat map is the future anyway. Just my 2 cents.

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:56 pm Unless there's a way to limit the distance at which the game starts applying normal maps, I guess I'll just delete the ones corresponding to exterior ground textures and use everything else.
Thank you so much for the feedback, I'll probably release an alternative version of the mod without terrain normal maps this evening.

Really I'm just procrastinating working on a revised version of this mod in the form of a dfmod with materials for each texture in unity because there are a thousand textures and I'm utterly incompetent in unity lol

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

socuciustarkus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:35 pm
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:56 pm Unless there's a way to limit the distance at which the game starts applying normal maps, I guess I'll just delete the ones corresponding to exterior ground textures and use everything else.
Thank you so much for the feedback, I'll probably release an alternative version of the mod without terrain normal maps this evening.

Really I'm just procrastinating working on a revised version of this mod in the form of a dfmod with materials for each texture in unity because there are a thousand textures and I'm utterly incompetent in unity lol
I went through the effort of deleting all the outdoor terrain maps from the folder to solve this problem a couple hours ago. I just uploaded it to google drive, so feel free to release it as an alternate version if you want, no sense in doing it again if someone else already did it :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yD8Lg3 ... sp=sharing
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0