0.10.24: Spell fired was not spell chosen in spellbook [LIKELY MISCLICK]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jay_H

0.10.24: Spell fired was not spell chosen in spellbook [LIKELY MISCLICK]

Post by Jay_H »

https://clips.twitch.tv/PreciousTalentedBaboonOneHand

User chose "Fireball" from the spellbook but got "Recall" instead.

Interkarma

Re: 0.10.24: Spell fired was not spell chosen in spellbook

Post by Interkarma »

I can't really do much without a save, I'm afraid. I don't generally follow streams and there's ways this could be an issue on user side. Moving out of bug reports unless it's something that can be reproduced.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Heh, dumb mistake on my part :D We'll see if something comes of this.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Sorry Jay, didn't mean to shoot down the report. :( I can see something unexpected happened in the video, but I think it's likely something on the user side.

I was able to find a way to reproduce this like so:
  1. Cast Teleport. This is now your previously cast spell.
  2. Select a "target at range" or "area at range" spell from spellbook that requires pressing button to cast.
  3. Instead hit Recast key and the previously cast spell (Teleport) will be cast instead, aborting the loaded spell.
I think the streamer accidentally hit Recast key after previously casting Teleport, which overrides the fireball spell he had just loaded (but not yet cast) from spellbook. I haven't followed back the stream to confirm that's the case, but it's the most likely explanation.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's perfectly fine, I didn't know about such a case :) Your explanation is very likely the right one -- I rewatched it and the last spell cast was Recall. I didn't realize it at the time since I thought he was much further into the dungeon. You properly identified this.

pango

Re: 0.10.24: Spell fired was not spell chosen in spellbook [LIKELY MISCLICK]

Post by pango »

What if often see also, is people single clicking on spells then closing the spellbook, expected it to become "the current spell".
However this is not the case here, we can clearly see "Press button to fire spell." message.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart