Can't join Mage's Guild

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
johnwax

Can't join Mage's Guild

Post by johnwax »

Just upgraded to 10.24 and started a new game. Arrived in Daggerfall, bought a wagon and went to the Mage's Guild to join and start some quests. Was told I was "not qualified" (never happened before!) Appears to be a reputation thing, but I haven't done anything! Any thoughts on what happened and how I can fix it? Thanks for any help.

emmathepony

Re: Can't join Mage's Guild

Post by emmathepony »

Your reputation might have changed during character creation or your personality attribute might be too low to join.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There are two kinds of "not qualified" messages, and they're pretty clear. One is that you don't have the skills, and the other is you have bad reputation. Which is it?

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Apparently I have a bad name with the 'intelligentsia', which I assume means the scholars. I was able to join the Knights of the Dragon, who must be low brows (heh!).

pango

Post by pango »

This is often due to choosing Schools of Julianos for temple during career path (whether you chose that or it was chosen randomly).
They hate each other with the Mages Guild, so picking this alignment gives you some bad reputation with the MG.
Doing a few non-member quests should be sufficient to fix that.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart