[Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
squishi

Re: [Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

Post by squishi »

Hey. I recently came back to Daggerfall and wanted to use your mod again, however every time I'm teleported to a random dungeon I am always out of bounds. The mod on it's own still has the problem, so just a heads up I assume it's incompatible with the latest version of DFU.

Despite this the random start date seemingly works fine. Great idea for an addition by the way, I was somehow unaware seasons were even a thing before now lol.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I'll have to look into it, but with some of the changes there may have been some issues introduced involving the localization stuff that was added. Don't have any estimated time on this one though, so just be aware.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Released Mod Update, v1.13:

Mostly a patch/workaround for a bug that would occur in DFU version v0.15.3 and later
-Created sloppy workaround for "dropped in void" bug when being teleported to a random dungeon, when starting a new-game, while using DFU version v0.15.3 and later.
-Created a toggle in the settings for this workaround, so if you don't like being brought outside of Privateer's Hold when starting a new-game, you can turn this behavior off.
-Fixed a minor oversight that if using the "manual_random_teleport" console command over and over, the event would not be unsubscribed to properly, potentially causing a very minor memory leak.

NoorIlaahi

Post by NoorIlaahi »

Hey Magicono43, love the mod!

Obviously this goes against the *random* part, but would it be possible to add the function (or make it into a new mod) of choosing a starting location from any of the locations on the world map? Being able to start out an adventure at a village, city, dungeon, etc. of your choice could be a huge boon to roleplayers.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

NoorIlaahi wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:40 pm Hey Magicono43, love the mod!

Obviously this goes against the *random* part, but would it be possible to add the function (or make it into a new mod) of choosing a starting location from any of the locations on the world map? Being able to start out an adventure at a village, city, dungeon, etc. of your choice could be a huge boon to roleplayers.
I've tried something like that probably like 2 years or more back or something. The random selection of a location is not the difficult part, but more the actual way of teleporting you to that place without first loading that place, otherwise you would just get dropped into a void.

Though I've learned many things since I tried doing that, so I could probably "hack" some way of doing this by using the existing fast-travel code or something to do that loading work hopefully.

No guarantees or any sort of time-frame that I might try to work on something like this again, but I'll keep it in mind and likely eventually try doing something like it again, in the eventual future atleast.

NoorIlaahi

Post by NoorIlaahi »

Thanks for the response! Wow I had no idea it was so complicated... well thanks for everything that you've released!

CringingDragon

Post by CringingDragon »

Hello. Love your mod. It's a staple for any Daggerfall playthrough I do. I am having some issues however with getting it to work properly as of late. I noticed the conversation on the topic has touched on this, im having the issue where im not spawning in the play area when i enter the map. I noticed there is a statement of a workaround or slight fix but im not sure how to follow along or utilize the information to make the mod work again. If you could get back to me on how to get it to work it would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I found the workaround being the Manual_Random_Teleport command. Thanks again for all your labors.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

CringingDragon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:16 pm Hello. Love your mod. It's a staple for any Daggerfall playthrough I do. I am having some issues however with getting it to work properly as of late. I noticed the conversation on the topic has touched on this, im having the issue where im not spawning in the play area when i enter the map. I noticed there is a statement of a workaround or slight fix but im not sure how to follow along or utilize the information to make the mod work again. If you could get back to me on how to get it to work it would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I found the workaround being the Manual_Random_Teleport command. Thanks again for all your labors.
If you update to the most recent version of the mod, it should also work now with the work-around for the issue I added. But doing it like you did also works as well if you remember to do it when starting a new character.