Docks of DaggerFall (Long-term project)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
imsobadatnicknames

Re: Docks of DaggerFall (Long-term project)

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

monobelisk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 am I suggest that you don't work on the compatibility patch you suggested just yet - I would like to see if it's possible to handle proper height placement in Interesting Terrains first. That would save you from having to maintain two different versions of each location, and at the same time make Interesting Terrains more compatible with other location mods - a win/win :D
I'm glad you like this!
And thank you! I'm really glad you're looking to make Interesting Terrains compatile with Location Loader, I really hope it's possible.

Also, the idea of oceans with actual underwater terrain sounds amazing!

Quick update. I started working on adding ports to Shalgora last night. I picked it as a starting location because it's got a really small coastline with only a few locations to add docks to. I might release Shalgora and maybe a couple more small regions and then commit to Daggerfall region and release the full set of prefabs in case anyone wants to collab.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This thread is being watched with envious eyes, as I seriously cannot wait to play with this thing in my game.
So take inspiration from that, and know.....WE ALL WANT THIS TO HAPPEN :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes please :)

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:52 pm I'm really glad you're looking to make Interesting Terrains compatile with Location Loader, I really hope it's possible.
I've done some investigation, and found out that the Location Loader doesn't support terrain samplers with a different max height than the vanilla terrain sampler. I've proposed a fix that will ensure proper compatibility. If it gets implemented, we'll have absolutely nothing to worry about :)

Meanwhile, to ensure proper compatibility on my end, I've replicated the the vanilla terrain sampler algorithm into my own terrain sampler to ensure that the coastlines will always align 1:1 with vanilla coastlines.

imsobadatnicknames

Wow! I didn't expect to see people so excited for this project!

I finished Shalgora this morning. I'm gonna do another couple small regions before I upload this to the Nexus and finally commit to doing Daggerfall.

On the meantime, here is Shalgora and the full set of dock prefabs.

In case anyone wants to collaborate and start putting docks in other regions, I'm willing to post a small tutorial on how to use UV's location editor later (I saw most people on the Location Loader thread seemed to be confused as to how to actually use it, but it's prett easy once you get the hang of it) and you can start using the prefabs included in this file. There's prefabs for big docks, small docks, and small docks with no lighthouse facing each cardinal direction. I'm probably change them up a little bit, as all prefabs of the same type look pretty much the same except rotated 90 degrees. I'm probably change up and/or add/remove details like rocks, boat palcement, etc. to make each one feel a little mroe unique, but as all changes are probably gonna be pretty minor you can start out using these ones and they should still be placed correctly when I post the updated versions. I'll probably add a few more prefabs like crashed ships and stuff like that over time.
Attachments
Shalgora release.rar
(24.45 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

imsobadatnicknames

UPDATE: A file containing Shalgora and Koegria has been uploaded to the nexus. I will tackle Daggerfall next.
Attachments
Docks of Daggerfall.rar
(25.1 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Looks pretty amazing, especially given the importance of sea trade and travel all across the Ilyac Bay (Daggerfall, Sentinel, Wayrest, the three major fiefdoms, have all their capital very near to the sea). Note that a big capital don't have to be right on the seashore, Rome had his port in Ostia, a few dozen kilometers down the Tiber river.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Can't say enough for how charming this addition is. Just seeing those ships and the docks makes the world suddenly feel so much bigger. Probably because it connects the ingame experience with the sailing aspect. Thanks for even attempting this.

imsobadatnicknames

Thank you all for the excitement for this mod!

I'm still working on the release of Daggerfall region. Not making as much progress as I'd like to, I found myself having to take a really long break because trying to perfectly line up the docks with the beach, while not exactly hard, is kinda tedious and involves a lot of trial and error, and I ended up getting REALLY burnt out.

Anyway, I wanted to show this view of the Westhead Moor docks from the city wall.

And of the city from one of the ships

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Burnout is totally understandable. I know the community has really enjoyed your work so far. I hope everyone can band together to help you figure out some of these issues! Many of the mod makers are very knowledgable, and Interkarma wants to make modders' lives easier when reasonable.
Also, if some of the work is tedious, perhaps you could delegate to other people that like the mod? Document the process and have others take a crack at it?
You don't have to go it alone. I hope you can take a break and then take another look at your options.

EDIT: whoops, just saw this.
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 pmIn case anyone wants to collaborate and start putting docks in other regions, I'm willing to post a small tutorial on how to use UV's location editor later (I saw most people on the Location Loader thread seemed to be confused as to how to actually use it, but it's prett easy once you get the hang of it) and you can start using the prefabs included in this file. There's prefabs for big docks, small docks, and small docks with no lighthouse facing each cardinal direction. I'm probably change them up a little bit, as all prefabs of the same type look pretty much the same except rotated 90 degrees. I'm probably change up and/or add/remove details like rocks, boat palcement, etc. to make each one feel a little mroe unique, but as all changes are probably gonna be pretty minor you can start out using these ones and they should still be placed correctly when I post the updated versions. I'll probably add a few more prefabs like crashed ships and stuff like that over time.