Docks of DaggerFall (Long-term project)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
imsobadatnicknames

Re: Docks of DaggerFall (Long-term project)

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Azteca wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:25 pm Burnout is totally understandable. I know the community has really enjoyed your work so far. I hope everyone can band together to help you figure out some of these issues! Many of the mod makers are very knowledgable, and Interkarma wants to make modders' lives easier when reasonable.
Also, if some of the work is tedious, perhaps you could delegate to other people that like the mod? Document the process and have others take a crack at it?
You don't have to go it alone. I hope you can take a break and then take another look at your options.

EDIT: whoops, just saw this.
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 pmIn case anyone wants to collaborate and start putting docks in other regions, I'm willing to post a small tutorial on how to use UV's location editor later (I saw most people on the Location Loader thread seemed to be confused as to how to actually use it, but it's prett easy once you get the hang of it) and you can start using the prefabs included in this file. There's prefabs for big docks, small docks, and small docks with no lighthouse facing each cardinal direction. I'm probably change them up a little bit, as all prefabs of the same type look pretty much the same except rotated 90 degrees. I'm probably change up and/or add/remove details like rocks, boat palcement, etc. to make each one feel a little mroe unique, but as all changes are probably gonna be pretty minor you can start out using these ones and they should still be placed correctly when I post the updated versions. I'll probably add a few more prefabs like crashed ships and stuff like that over time.
Thank you, this is really encouraging.
I'm still working but I found out something kinda disheartening: Location Loader seems to be broken for 10.25+.
Some locations seem to work fine, but locations that use the "Tower Hex" model (and maybe others, I haven't tested all of them yet) get fucked up in 10.26. Which means that both this and my Titanic Towers mod are incompatible with 10.26 for the time being.

I'll still keep working on this for a while, in hopes that someone will eventually patch Location Loader for 10.26 (maybe Kamer or even UV himself, seeing as he recently released an update of his Skyshards mod for 10.25 I'd say that coming back to maintain and update his old mods doesn't seem to be completely out of the question for him)

Technically ANYONE could try to patch it as UV released the source code, but doing so is definitely outside my capabilities
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

communityus

Post by communityus »

Sign me up to help. Love your quest work as well. I took a break myself but am just getting back in the swing of things. In a few days I will be ready to see how hard it will be to make work in 10.26. there is another mod that is waiting for 10.26 support l3essed's combat mods do not work yet - at least not with other mods going. Running tests and stuff. But consider me signing up first to help with placing docks and second to work on UV code to get working in 10.26. I would probably time the UV code part with l3essed's progress on getting it to work. My understanding is that the changes to 10.26 are a good thing so looking forward to getting it all working. I too am on a long project with this code base so will get it done eventually! great work.

imsobadatnicknames

communityus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 pm Sign me up to help. Love your quest work as well. I took a break myself but am just getting back in the swing of things. In a few days I will be ready to see how hard it will be to make work in 10.26. there is another mod that is waiting for 10.26 support l3essed's combat mods do not work yet - at least not with other mods going. Running tests and stuff. But consider me signing up first to help with placing docks and second to work on UV code to get working in 10.26. I would probably time the UV code part with l3essed's progress on getting it to work. My understanding is that the changes to 10.26 are a good thing so looking forward to getting it all working. I too am on a long project with this code base so will get it done eventually! great work.
Thank you that's really nice to hear! And I'm flattered that you like my work

If you're interested in helping place docks, what region would you like to do?

I'll link the folder with all the dock prefabs on this post, btw. The North, South, West and East part of the name of each prefab refers to the direction of the coast, not the direction of the sea. i.e. if you want to place a big dock dock in a location where the sea is to your east and the coast is to your west, you'd have to us the "Big Dock West" prefab

Thank you so much for your itnerest in this project, btw! I can't find the words to thank you enough!
Attachments
Locations.rar
(22.05 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

communityus

Post by communityus »

I am happy to work according to the Region Numbers.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Region_Numbers

So 01 Dragontail Mountains: Madla would be the first up.

These are Lore only I believe - so would skip these
02 Glenpoint Foothills
03 Daggerfall Bluffs
04 Yeorth Burrowland

05 - Dwynnen and the Kingform Palace, Hawking Palace, The Queen's Cat Inn, Ashfield Hall and The rusty Goblin Hostel would be next.

...and so on.

And you have started on region numbers 35 and 42 with Koegria and Shalgora correct? Have you considered using a combo of ajrb's (Hazelnut) World Data Overrides work with location loader? I know it adds to the complexity. I believe we could go back and extend the docks in 35 and 42 with WDO to allow entering buildings as well. Might offer change of pace when burn out kicks in as well. Since then we are adding function to the game and in addition to charm :-)

The WDO could just as easily be a separate Mod designed to work with yours.

Perhaps that is what Kamer was hinting at?
Kamer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:08 am I've had this idea for a long time as well. I can however add features to these locations but making them is time consuming. If I had someone to make them for me, then it would be different story.

Let me know your thoughs.

imsobadatnicknames

communityus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:51 pm .
Yeah, if we're going by region numbers, I have finished regions 35 and 42, and I'm currently working on region 17 (Daggerfall).
I really do like the idea of using world data overrides to add buildings, although I don't fully understand how world data works (I've been giving the World Data Overrides thread a couple reads over the last few days and I think I'm starting to get it).

About what Kamer was hinting at with that post, I think it wasn't about world data overrides but about something different entirely. It seems like Kamer has been working on a modified version of Location Loader for quite a while, and his version allows for extended functionality like adding NPCs, loot, and enemies to locations like these. I actually asked him about it a few days ago, but he says he has it's still unfinished and he doesn't really have plans to release it as a tool like Uncanny did with the original Location Loader, but he plans to use it for future Warm Ashes features (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2920).

So... I think he was offering to take these dock prefabs and use his modified version of Location Loader to add stuff like NPCs and loot to them to use them in the projects he's working on (which is something I'm still open to).
I do liek the idea to use World Data overrides to add stuff like buildings and shops nearby, I'll just have to read up a little more on it because I'm still very code-illiterate compared to most modders in this forum :p

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

That is what I was referring to. World Data Override to add a small town area, and utilize my version of uncanny location loader together for actual content on the docks.

communityus

Post by communityus »

First attempt at Madla: Nailed it!
Spoiler!
Just Kidding: (here is better one - just doing 1 dock for now then will come back later)
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Attachments
DragontailMtMadla.zip
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times

imsobadatnicknames

communityus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:00 am First attempt at Madla: Nailed it!
Spoiler!
Just Kidding: (here is better one - just doing 1 dock for now then will come back later)

Screenshot.jpg
Hahah nice!! I'll se if I can release daggerfall region this week or the next one :p

communityus

Post by communityus »

I was going to use the version control features of github for my work. I can include the prefabs you made and give credit in the repo (i imagine they took a lot of work!) or link here (and not include them) or do both (more exposure!) :-)

Have you tried using version control for your own work? It makes it a lot easier to keep track of changes and revert back if needed. Especially on the quest mods I imagine it would help a lot. -> Allows things to be in draft state without worrying so much once get used to it. thoughts? Most of your other work was also permissive use so I figured I'd ask for clarity on this collaborative project.
Last edited by communityus on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

imsobadatnicknames

I have never tried using version control tbh. Feel free to include the prefabs in the repo and credit me :p

Tbh I'm not using Github at all to manage this project, I'm just creating a separate locatins instance file for each region. I'll look into using github, I've never give it much thought since I'm not much of a programmer.